Talk

Advanced search

A Level History tuition - does this sound right ?

(3 Posts)
Historyismylife Tue 07-Nov-17 10:49:09

My Yr 13 DD started with a History tutor this year and she has been given the same essay to re write 3 times. She hasn't got a mark because tutor doesn't want her to focus on mark but on the process and how to structure the essay. All her teachers keep saying she only needs marginal changes to move her from B/A to a secure A or higher. Does this sound normal - to go over same essay over and over again ? I get the point about thinking about the process rather than the mark but at school, it is the mark that determines their A Level predictions and course progress and sadly, that is what the children focus on. Tutor is an ex teacher so just wondering if that is where he is coming from - as in teacher view: should tutor have different approach to a teacher ? Just want to make sure we are on the correct path.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 07-Nov-17 15:51:13

My son's teacher is actually using the same process in his English Literature (but at gcse level). He does not give the mark, gives verbal feedback and then son had to rewrite/make amendments in accordance with the feedback.

I believe the thinking is if they give a "grade" then the student will just change enough to give what they think will bump them up a grade rather than really think about what they need to include and their style of writing. I think eventually they will give feedback to say it started at a B and ended as an A* (hopefully)!

Historyismylife Tue 07-Nov-17 16:39:56

OK that's reassuring to hear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now