Advanced search

Can the girls stay in school during Exeat weekend for Downe House, Beneden & Cheltenham Ladies' College?

(12 Posts)
trudylady12 Mon 06-Nov-17 04:20:48

As my friend is from overseas and would like to send her DD to UK boarding school either 13+ or 16+. Please advise if the girls can stay in the boarding house during Exeat weekend for Downe House, Benenden and CLC?
What other girls schools have this option? Thanks for sharing! smile

happygardening Mon 06-Nov-17 06:40:26

I can’t comment about the schools you’ve mentioned but my DS went to boarding school and I’ve worked at boarding schools. It would be very unusual as an exeat is when all staff, teachers and staff etc have time off. If a child stayed in school it would require a member of staff to supervise them, possiblely catering staff especially in a rtural area, and even a school nurse to be available. The adage if you let one do all will want to do it applies here although not all obviously but others from abroad and then more staff would be required and so on. Boarding is also very tiring it’s good for pupils to have time away from school.
Children from overseas should have guardians in the UK, most schools insist on it, for exeats (they will go there or a friends) and if a child is unwell and can’t stay in school.
Having said this I would speak to the admission dept of the schools you’re interested in.

trudylady12 Mon 06-Nov-17 06:44:57

Thank you for your reply and will check with admissions directly regarding exeat weekend arrangement.

WhirlwindHugs Mon 06-Nov-17 06:49:13

I can't say about thos schools either but yes usually they would have a UK guardian and would stay with them during exeat.

Parents can employ people to do this if they don't know anyone suitable.

happygardening Mon 06-Nov-17 07:01:28

There are agencies who can provide a guardian which you pay I believe a monthly sum. Again the school admission are likely to be able to provide you with details.

VanillaSugar Mon 06-Nov-17 07:02:29

Yes, if the family are from overseas then they will need a UK guardian. The schools will have a list. My DD boarded and, believe me, schools close for the weekend and pupils are expected to vacate the premises.

However, DS was involved in a recruitment event at Uppinghan (as a prospective pupil) which was held during a March expat and sixth form pupils were acting as tour guides. This was the exception not the rule.

Contact the school's directly and see what they say.

VanillaSugar Mon 06-Nov-17 07:04:43

The above typos are the phone's fault, obviously.

Eastpoint Mon 06-Nov-17 07:06:20

DH used to stay with friends at exeats (couldnt get back home easily).

hidingmystatus Mon 06-Nov-17 12:21:46

Not at CLC. You have to be out of school.

LIZS Mon 06-Nov-17 14:07:27

It is normal to nominate a guardian to cover exeats and half terms, plus ad hoc days before residential trips, sickness etc. There are agencies who will match a child up with one if there are no suitable friends or relatives. In practice pupils may spend exeats staying with school friends.

trudylady12 Tue 07-Nov-17 04:33:39

Thank you for all your advices. I think after knowing which school to go to, will need to check with admissions the exeat arrangement. For half terms and long holidays, the children will go back to their own countries to spend time with family.

BubblesBuddy Tue 07-Nov-17 12:23:53

Where my DDs boarded there were guardians who collected the girls and they stayed with them for the Exeat. School was empty. It’s stsndard procedure I think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: