Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Request for son's school record being ignored.

(16 Posts)
user1498726699 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:39:28

I have requested a copy of my son's full school record several times over the last year. The 1st time I was emailed a computerised 2 page print out which showed his attendance and sanction record. I have requested his FULL school record again as that was not what I asked for in January, March and July - that time I was told I could have it after the school summer holidays. I was told again in September and last month (both times by the Head) it would be ready for me to collect at the end of the week and it still hasn't materialised!

From the Information Commissioner's website, it is stated that schools should provide it within 15 days which I have quoted to them several times. In the school's own literature, they state that parents can request their child's record.

I know I can complain to the Governors but with previous experience, I will again be fobbed off.

How can I force them to give me this? I have a very valid reason for requesting it, not that I need one, as son has SN and was treated terribly by the school and I had to move him. I have the impression that there was negative stuff in the information that was given to new school.

Bunnychopz Fri 03-Nov-17 21:46:29

At the bottom of this article

ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/2014223/subject-access-code-of-practice.pdf

youarenotkiddingme Fri 03-Nov-17 21:47:10

Is it state maintained or academy?

When I requested ds school records from academy (he has sn and I had to move him) I requested all information including attendance, results of tests, a list of all reports they hold from professionals (I said didn't need a copy as have them) and all internal emails between staff (but not emails is been party of).

I had to make a SAR as it was an academy. I used a template letter from the website.

How old is your ds? Once they are 13 they request this information themselves which is a route you may want to consider?

I'd make the request again stating it's despite requests on x dates, state which day they legally have to provide it by and say if they don't follow the law and comply you'll be seeking a judicial review.
Copy in LA.

You can also make a request to la for all information they hold as well

Bunnychopz Fri 03-Nov-17 21:48:00

Page 64

Ragusa Fri 03-Nov-17 21:48:52

What do you mean by school record??

user1498726699 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:56:18

Thanks so much Bunny. Seems from that, that as Ds's school is an academy, I have no legal right to access it! I am presuming they haven't told me this directly so I don't kick up a stink (have another child still at the school) and they are hoping I will just go away. No wonder they are a law unto themselves angry.

HangryHanderson Fri 03-Nov-17 21:56:57

I assume she means all notes and incidents kept on file by the head of year. All kids have a file and heads of year log communications, incidents including bullying etc which are always meant to be written in a professional, impartial way with the incident, action taken and statements/investigation. Also if put on report the completed forms go in. SEN dept should have his IEPs/action plans.
Wonder what the delay is. If they have written anything unprofessional or damning there's nothing to stop them rewriting it tbh, who would know paranoid

Ceto Fri 03-Nov-17 22:00:34

user, there's a major mistake on the ICO's website information about this - you certainly are entitled to the records under the Data Protection Act. Did you specifically frame it as a DPA subject access request? If so, they had to give the records to you within 40 days by law. Academies are certainly not exempt from the DPA.

I would suggest you contact the Information Commissioner direct to ask for help in persuading the school to comply with its duties. And also to correct his website!

user1498726699 Fri 03-Nov-17 22:01:19

Yes Hangry. Exactly that. Lots of incidents. Also what was implemented under his IEP/ECHP (very little that I saw).

user1498726699 Fri 03-Nov-17 22:06:35

Thanks Ceto. I framed it as a request for his school record which they themselves state parents can request. I will do a DPA request then and contact the ICO next week.

Thanks all!

youarenotkiddingme Fri 03-Nov-17 22:08:43

I had a feeling you'd say it was an academy.

You need to make a subject access request. I acknowledged in mine they could charge me £10 and asked how to make payment and by what date and gave date they had to provide file by.

SnowyBerries Sat 04-Nov-17 09:04:10

All kids have a file and heads of year log communications
What communications are logged?

HangryHanderson Sat 04-Nov-17 23:21:36

All schools will have different protocols but for example, if a teacher writes up a pupil who has misbehaved in class to the extent that it needed referring/escalating (so more than a comment in logbook/demerit) and that child wasn't on report, then a copy/duplicate of said teacher's concerns would be filed (bearing in mind, I am talking about A4 lever arch paper files with hole punched sheet for each child, some of which would stay blank for five years, some of which would need a file of their own after five years) rather than pupil records held on computer (might be the case now but wasn't when I was pastoral).

CauliflowerSqueeze Sun 05-Nov-17 15:56:58

When we are asked for a student’s file we give Parents the attendance record and any letters. That’s it. Internal emails and other notes are not passed on.

Jessesbitch Mon 06-Nov-17 20:40:32

Internal emails (teacher - teacher) have to be given out now. We've had a meeting about it [telling us to be careful on what we write/how we say it].

Oblomov17 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:00:05

Goodness. I had no idea that academy rules were so different!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now