Talk

Advanced search

Can dd drop gcse in year 10

(17 Posts)
usersbmkgyinb Mon 30-Oct-17 22:04:13

Dd in year 10 has sends that affect her learning and she is really struggling since starting year 10 and her GCSEs, she's so unhappy, anxious and has lost all confidence, and basically has A I can't do it attitude and is really just hating school and not wanting to go.

Obviously I'm trying my best to help her, telling her she can do well trying to boost her confidence etc etc

She really is struggling with maths and is currently looking at getting a 1 if she's lucky sad English is better and they assessed at end of year 9 and if she continues to make progress she should hopefully achieve a 5

She's really unhappy in 2 of her options and is really struggling

I'm concerned about ability to cope with the work load for the next two years and would rather she concentrated on what she does enjoy (BTECH PE and BTECH health and social) and hopefully secure I better grade in that, I would rather her get 3 good grades rather than 7/8 nothings

I want to approach the school about her dropping 2 of the options she doesn't enjoy and instead she can use that time to either practice her maths/English, revise or complete coursework which she could do in the special needs unit at school (given the choice she would have all her lessons there as she feels more comfortable)

Will the school allow her to drop subjects? Will they fight me on it?

ASauvignonADay Mon 30-Oct-17 22:06:33

You need to speak to the school. It is definitely possible, but depends on the individual case.

noblegiraffe Mon 30-Oct-17 22:34:54

My school would say no, at least initially, as one student being allowed to drop options they don’t like would start an avalanche of requests. Also, any grade is important to the school league tables for progress 8, better that she takes a subject and gets a 1 in it than doesn’t take it.

That she has SEN, is struggling, and has somewhere that could supervise her when she is timetabled for her options make it more likely. I’d arrange a meeting with the school about concerns about her struggling generally with school and coping with maths, then ask about dropping a subject or two to help improve her maths grade (double weighted in progress 8) as a solution rather than go straight in with ‘can DD drop X and concentrate on her maths?’

hellybellyjellybean Mon 30-Oct-17 22:47:27

Hi - teacher in a secondary school here! I would assume the school will be very reluctant, we allow this in year 11 but we have staff on a shadow timetable so if any students drop an option there are staff at that time who will work with the students on their core subjects they need support in. This can only be done if their is a member of staff available in her option time to work with her as she can't be unsupervised or just sat in a library, she should be being taught in all hours of the day. Due to budget cuts of school it is very rare that there will be such capacity on staff timetables for this to happen. In year 10 as well, and so early, I assume they would say she has plenty of time to turn it around. The school will also ensure that she completes enough subjects so that she fully contributes to the schools progress 8 score and so won't let her drop too many subjects.

usersbmkgyinb Mon 30-Oct-17 23:13:05

Thanks for advice, dd was unfortunate that she was only diagnosed with her sends last year at start of year 9 she then had lots of intervention in the schools special needs unit and got on really well her attitude to school changed her attendance picked up etc but obviously science starting year 10 she needs to be in the classroom so she doesn't miss work meaning she gets no time for the maths/English intervention except for 2 twenty minutes slots a week during tutor time, it takes 5 minutes to walk there so not really much can be done in that time.

Her anxiety is awful again now her ticks have returned and she is so unhappy I fear that soon I will be struggling to even get her to school

Obviously I want her to do as well as she possibly can in maths and English and hopefully the two subjects she does enjoy to give her a good start

The school have a separate sends unit that is fully staffed so I have no worries about where dd would go or who would be supervising her

I am expecting the school to initially say no to my request but where do I stand legally? Can we just refuse and insist that she drops a subject ?

noblegiraffe Mon 30-Oct-17 23:23:32

I don’t think you can legally pick and choose which bits of the education the school is offering that she wants to attend - you need to work in partnership with the school to try to get the best outcome for your DD.

If she is suffering anxiety, tics etc, then I would see the GP to make sure this is all documented.

usersbmkgyinb Mon 30-Oct-17 23:28:11

Already documented with gp and school are very aware of her ticks, sensory issues etc

Obviously I know that lots of children don't do the full 8/9 GCSEs so just trying to figure out if that is a option for dd as I would rather things are sorted for her now before they get to bad and she refusing to even go to school

usersbmkgyinb Mon 30-Oct-17 23:29:48

Also whilst I understand that children doing the set amount of gcse is better for the school I don't believe it's better or in the best interests for my dd

TheSecondOfHerName Mon 30-Oct-17 23:35:52

It's possible in exceptional circumstances. DS dropped 3 of his 11 GCSE subjects in the winter of Y11 (leaving him with 8), due to a long-term illness.

Something that needs to be considered is what will she do in those timetable slots for the next 18 months? Where will she work? Who will set and mark the work? Who will supervise her?

noblegiraffe Mon 30-Oct-17 23:37:53

I mean see the doc about the increasing anxiety since starting Y10, that you think she might start refusing to go to school.
If you want the school to take your request seriously, you’ll want to show that you’re exploring all avenues of support for her, and the doctor may make recommendations.

TheSecondOfHerName Mon 30-Oct-17 23:40:29

The school have a separate sends unit that is fully staffed

But presumably they are all busy supporting particular students.

Do you mean there are pre-existing small-group lessons or intervention already happening at those times that she might be able to join?

TheSecondOfHerName Mon 30-Oct-17 23:44:21

When DS was in Y12 and still needing a modified timetable during the recovery phase of his illness, a letter from the consultant helped.

If you speak to CAMHS, the psychiatrist might be able to support your request in writing to the school.

usersbmkgyinb Tue 31-Oct-17 07:13:49

Yes that's exactly what I mean about the unit, most of dd's intervention was computer programs such as lexia, number shark etc all which she done up in the unit. She is currently able to go to the unit at any point throughout the day with her exit card if she needs to, dd can get very worked up and when she struggling with work in classes she, she panics when she doesn't understand the work or feels pressured

TeenTimesTwo Tue 31-Oct-17 10:31:03

DD dropped History after y11 mocks having had a dyspraxia diagnosis only 2 months earlier. She was asked to keep it quiet to stop requests from other students.

I agree with PP, re go in, talk to them re her struggling especially with maths, and her anxiety. Then offer up dropping 1 or 2 of her options as a solution. Make sure you are clear on what you think she will do with the freed time, who you expect to set any extra maths work etc. The less effort you make it for them, the more likely they may be to go with it. Maybe 1 option to start with and see how it goes?

usersbmkgyinb Tue 31-Oct-17 14:56:58

TeenTimesTwo thanks dd will be having another chat with our gp next week and possibly a referral as Aspergers has been mentioned a few times now... this I am unsure about as everything I read about it in girls isn't dd except for the sensory side, she has always had massive issues with clothing, tags, fabrics and food and how foods can't touch or be mixed, everything has to be separate and she can only eat things one at a time I.e potatos, then peas etc

I'm concerned how long a referral will take as I'm hearing 2 years in which case will be to late for her GCSEs but I know she can't carry on how she is now, she isn't coping and I fear she may just shut down totally and refuse school all together

hmcAsWas Tue 31-Oct-17 15:03:03

My dd's friend (dyslexia) dropped 2 GCSE subjects at the end of Year 10 in order to concentrate on fewer core subjects. The Head heard her parents out, was convinced by the argument and had no problem with it. Its an Independent school though so perhaps more flexibility to set their own agenda / rules

Payfrozen Tue 31-Oct-17 18:18:17

My DD dropped RE in year 10. She was feeling really stressed and overwhelmed. It was a real struggle to get her into school and to stay there. Her head if year said that dropping a subject would buy her some breathing space and a bit of time to do coursework in school so that she has a bit more recovery time at home.
Her lovely form teacher teaches computing/IT so DD sits at the back of room using a computer to do other work. It's a state comp.

She's just been diagnosed with ADD which is often missed, particularly in girls. Lots of sensory issues too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now