Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Grey Coat Hospital or Kingsdale

(25 Posts)
OtherOther Sun 29-Oct-17 12:07:17

DD is eligible for a language place at Grey Coat Hospital and was offered a musical scholarship at Kingsdale. She would have to commute to both schools. She’s bright and inquisitive but also disobedient and wayward. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

AveEldon Sun 29-Oct-17 13:50:44

Does the musical scholarship guarantee a place?

OtherOther Sun 29-Oct-17 14:17:56

Apparently it does, provided that Kingsdale is your top choice.

CamperVamp Mon 30-Oct-17 08:26:59

How do you and she feel about the faith aspect of GreyCoat, and the single sex aspect?

In the end, KD is a Well-hyped good comp bumped up be selection such as the music and sports scholarships, and GreyCoat uses multiple selection techniques to influence the intake even more.

They do get a very good ‘package’ with the music scholarship at KD.

user1484040234 Mon 30-Oct-17 08:35:15

I don't think the music scholarship means you will get a place. They have a 10% limit of intake on music and all eligible people will be put in the same lottery pot. Your probability is higher than the general lottery.
Grey Coat is a highly thought of school.

user1484040234 Mon 30-Oct-17 08:38:22

Please put your schools in order of preference. Putting Kingsdale first does not influence your chance of being eligible for a place there at all. Schools do not know where you place them on the CAF, you will be offered a place at the school highest on your list that can offer you a place under its admissions criteria.

OtherOther Mon 30-Oct-17 12:02:23

Thank you for your responses. What initially seemed like a no-brainer is no longer such a clear and straight-forward decision.
Kingsdale is a large school. They set from the very beginning, and they must take good care of their top sets otherwise their high achievers’ results wouldn’t be as impressive. Music provision is exemplary as witnessed in performances where DD’s primary school had participated. What is social life like though? The school is very diverse and the likelihood of several cliques co-existing in parallel is very probable.
Greycoats is a Christian, single-sex school in Victoria. Commuting to and fro will be during rush-hour; I don’t think that aged 10 DD realises the enormity of the task day in, day out, year in, year out. We are not religious but, personally, I’m not opposed to the Christian ethos as it seems to be the foundation of a more egalitarian institution (though I may be quite naive there). It is smaller, and setting for English, Maths and Science takes place in yr8 meaning the girls spend their first year there in the same form for all subjects. Both DD and I seem to prefer this arrangement to the other. It’s really a question of whether GC is worth all the rush-hour commuting on one hand, and on the other, whether a Kingsdale music scholarship is an opportunity that is not to be missed.

AveEldon Mon 30-Oct-17 13:06:54

What are your other choices?
GC isn't just Christian ethos - form group prayers, daily collective worship, compulsory church services

CamperVamp Mon 30-Oct-17 17:17:40

I think it depends on the nature of the commute, and you say both schools involve a journey. Kingsdale isn't the easiest school to get to. Can she get there by bus, or would it be by train and then the walk?

testbunny Mon 30-Oct-17 17:43:54

Hi there.

We have yet to fill in ‘the form’ and the deadline is tomorrow. User, is it definitely the case that schools - particularly the church schools - won’t know the order we’ve put them?? Being paranoid that the c of e school we want to put as no.2. will find out.

Thanks.

AnneElliott Mon 30-Oct-17 18:06:14

I have no knowledge of Kingsdsle but I've not been impressed with the behaviour of GC girls (I work nearby) so that for me would a factor.

AnneElliott Mon 30-Oct-17 18:06:14

I have no knowledge of Kingsdsle but I've not been impressed with the behaviour of GC girls (I work nearby) so that for me would a factor.

AveEldon Mon 30-Oct-17 19:03:39

None of the schools find out what place you put them on the list

Put them in the order of preference - you will get offered the highest one where you meet the entrance criteria

testbunny Mon 30-Oct-17 21:13:39

Thanks!

user1484040234 Mon 30-Oct-17 21:18:29

Kingsdale start their GCSEs in year 9 (three year GCSEs). You need to think whether you want your daughter to already drop some subjects so early.

user1484040234 Mon 30-Oct-17 21:19:12

They definitely don't know the order.

OtherOther Mon 30-Oct-17 22:40:42

Thanks for all your messages.
Commuting to KD would be relatively easier than commuting to GC but it would still involve long walk+train or shorter walk+2 buses.
Christian worship and rituals i’d view as mere decorum; at this point it wouldn’t be what deters me from a CoE school.
I suppose, my impression is that at GC there’d be some focus on developing every pupil’s study/ organisational skills; KD on the other hand would be ready and happy to nurture the already ambitious.
So. The schools don’t know the order you put them in and will make a first round of offers to everyone that matches their admissions criteria. The council will then allocate you a place to your highest preference school and automatically place you on the waiting list of schools that were higher on your list and have not offered a place. What if you do get offered a place to your 1st choice school and decline it? Are you automatically offered a place to your next choice (provided you match admissions criteria)?

CamperVamp Mon 30-Oct-17 22:57:14

The order in which you place a school has NO BEARING on whether they offer you a place under their published admissions criteria.

This is nothing to do with faith schools or any schools, or the local LA. It is the Law.

Hence the business of a music scholarship place at Kingsdale guaranteed if you put them first. All this means is that it can’t be guaranteed if you put them second because if your first choice school offers you a place you will be allocated that, not the KD scholarship place.

swampster Tue 31-Oct-17 00:11:46

Google "equal preference secondary school". I seem to remember elevenplusexams gave the explanation I found easiest to comprehend. Basically, list your schools in exactly the order in which you would prefer to be allocated them. They won't know and you could save yourself a lot of heartache.

PanelChair Tue 31-Oct-17 00:21:25

The LEA has a duty to offer a place in a school to every child who wants one. As others have said, that offer will be from the highest preference school of those where you meet the oversubscription criteria. If you reject that offer, they have no further obligation to you and they certainly won't make multiple offers until you accept one.

southeastlondonmum Tue 31-Oct-17 13:55:17

You can guess where I live based on my user name. I would literally bite my hand off for a place at GC. I know both schools.
We are not religious and live miles from kingsdale so neither are options for us

OtherOther Tue 31-Oct-17 17:00:15

Thanks for all your responses.
PanelChair, you provided much needed reason and clarity.
Swampster, your recommendation was very useful- here is that link: www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools/equal-preference-system
As DD feels the eligibility for a language place counts as a personal success we are more inclined to go by her wishes.

CamperVamp Tue 31-Oct-17 19:32:29

"What if you do get offered a place to your 1st choice school and decline it? Are you automatically offered a place to your next choice (provided you match admissions criteria)?"

No. At the point your first choice school offered you a place the LA computer automatically allocated you your first choice school and put your second choice place back in the 'pot' to be given to the next person who had been on the list for that school. That is why it is really important to list schools in the exact order that you prefer them.

sydenhamhiller Tue 31-Oct-17 19:39:45

southeastlondonmum we're a 20 minute walk from Kingsdale, but they don't allocate on distance at all - just a lottery tries not to do air quotes. Both DS and DD1 have friends there, really happy and doing well, lots of clubs friends from Bromley to Streatham to Clapham and East London. (Yes, north of the river!)

So don't worry about living miles from Kigsdale, it doesn't rule you out if you'd like it.

southeastlondonmum Wed 01-Nov-17 09:59:30

Ah interesting- didn't know it was lottery. We are in of a black hole for secondary

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now