Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Saint olaves or Wilson grammar?

(13 Posts)
Shaheensayed1 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:06:57

Hi all, I really need help deciding. Given all the controversy going around saint Olaves in Bromley, I'm not sure what the future holds for the school. What would you do in my situation? My son passed both schools. Wilson will be a good 50 mins drive and olaves 10 mins.

S

Teddygirlonce Fri 27-Oct-17 09:48:22

Shaheensayed1 not sure St Olave's has done anything the other super-selectives don't do. It's just they were 'called out' by a group of parents in a way that hasn't - to my knowledge - happened before.

Hasn't there already been a conversation on here about Wilson's being too far for daily journeys from where you live? Even fifty minute car journeys can take considerably longer with heavy traffic, bad weather, accidents.

You'd be best putting them schools in the order you/your DS like them and how easy they are for you to get to, surely?

PettsWoodParadise Fri 27-Oct-17 10:59:30

Also to add there is no knowing yet if he has passed St Olaves, only that he has got past stage 1. Being able to get to school independently is really important for a DC for making friendships, getting the most out of the school clubs, not being seen by their peers as molly-coddled etc. For the school they also benefit from you supporting the school via Parents evenings, events etc which is all the more difficult if loads of the parents are a long distance away. I also suspect 50 mins is optimistic, have you put this into Google maps at a time of day when the schools are open and not during half term? What other options do you have like Dartford or other Kent or Bexley grammars?

Surpriseeggsforbreakfast Fri 27-Oct-17 13:43:23

We're applying for St olaves as well, I do have reservations about the academic pressure but wouldn't consider a 50 min car journey to wilsons. in morning traffic it's likely to be longer and it will be a nightmare by public transport. Depending where you are you could consider Kent or bexley schools instead

Shaheensayed1 Fri 27-Oct-17 13:52:39

Thank you ladies. I will also consider Dartford grammar for sure x

Taffeta Fri 27-Oct-17 13:53:12

Teddy - Other SSs in Kent don’t boot pupils out halfway through sixth form.

Teddygirlonce Fri 27-Oct-17 14:18:52

Taffeta don't they? Are many of the Kent grammars super-selectives though? St Olave's doesn't strictly count as a Kent grammar does it (isn't it in Bromley?)?

I can think of super-selectives in our area that have done similar things. You only need to look at the difference in numbers entering sixth form versus the Year 13 results to see a pattern. Parents do know about this type of thing going on it's just that maybe this is the first time that they've stood up to the 'system'? Wasn't it the case that some of the parents were lawyers and therefore possibly had the courage of their legal training convictions to know that they did have a leg to stand on should they choose to challenge the school (which they did).

Indeed my first thought (when I heard about St Olave's in the summer hols) was that I'm sure the St. O's parents' successful case would have many Heads quacking in their boots, now that the precedent has been set.

Surpriseeggsforbreakfast Fri 27-Oct-17 14:19:52

The latest I've heard is that the head has been suspended although I'm not sure how accurate this information is.

Taffeta Fri 27-Oct-17 14:30:44

Yes head has been suspended. St Os is in Bromley district ( which for schools is its own district but pistslky is Kent - confusing much? ).

Kent is made up of a few SSs and many local grammars. I’m not aware that any of the SSs have either a history or policy of booting children out halfway through sixth form. Nearly all grammars have sixth form entry requirements - but not Y13 entry requirements.

Taffeta Fri 27-Oct-17 14:31:14

* postally is Kent

Sofya80 Fri 27-Oct-17 18:11:57

@shaheensayed1
One of my friend’s came out in midway of his AL from Dartford boys because of pure performance. I think this pressure happens everywhere but never come out.
In SS school in Sutton, about 25-30 kids came out of poor GCSE grades and some of them doing AL in Greenshaw. One of the boy is my son’s closest friend and he is now quite upset and thinking of not finishing of his AL.
I think this pressure is in every SS, we better choose the school that is not over subscribed and is not in top of the league table.

Teddygirlonce Sat 28-Oct-17 09:16:39

In SS school in Sutton, about 25-30 kids came out of poor GCSE grades and some of them... agree. Think this happened at both SGS and WCGS this year, although looking at their prelim 2017 GCSE results (on their websites) it's not easy to 'discern'. Something clearly went awry, although not sure what.

CamperVamp Sat 28-Oct-17 22:51:11

You would plan to DRIVE 50 mins to Sutton, (in rush hour? Right!) 50 mins back home and then set off again at 2.30 for another nearly 2 hour trip?

That is ridiculous.

The time, the petrol, the pollution... The isolation for your DS (no local friends).

Look. Kids do get a good education and good results outside of grammar schools, you know!

I hope you are applying to one school that you will definitely get a place in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: