Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone taught themselves or their DCs Latin to GCSE?

(16 Posts)
Japanese Thu 26-Oct-17 15:49:05

I have learned a number of different languages to GCSE, A-Level, undergrad and postgrad level. But I have never been taught Latin. I've always quite fancied learning it myself. My eldest will be starting Year 7 next year and the schools we are looking at do not offer Latin.

I have been thinking about doing some self-teaching of Latin between now and next September and then, if I get on ok with it, I could teach some at home to DD and then our youngest when they both start secondary school.

Anyone self-taught Latin and then gone on to teach their DCs?

Tryingtodoourbest Sat 28-Oct-17 13:54:22

Hello, I teach Latin as an extra-curricula subject at the moment to GCSE equivalent (level 2 with WJEC board which is more accessible for a non timetabled subject than the traditional OCR course). I am away at the moment but have some ideas for you when I have more time.

traviata Sat 28-Oct-17 14:05:19

placemarking

Japanese Sat 28-Oct-17 14:39:12

Trying - thank you very much, that would great, any wisdom you could share when you have a chance.

I have been having a look at the Cambridge online distance learning and am getting a bit confused by the different levels, what they're all equivalent to and whether they are recognised or not confused.

RenaissanceBunny Sat 28-Oct-17 15:02:39

I'd recommend the 'So you really want to learn Latin' books. They are aimed at Common Entrance so ideal for 11-13 year olds but actually as an adult I found them good to use and not childish - the only drawback is they don't come with answers in the back but if you're a competent linguist that shouldn't be a problem for the first couple of books.

Michaelahpurple Sat 28-Oct-17 16:29:46

I think Latin Linda itself well to this as there is such a tightly outlined grammar and vocabulary syllabus, not like French where one is meant to properly inhabit the language. (Says a non linguist who found the logic of Latin something of a relief).

But crucially don't go with the Cambridge Latin course books. V widely used but wholly unsystematic. The galore park common entrance ones (either the one mentioned above or Oulton's Latin 1 (and 2 and 3) by the same publishers are much more sensible. These will cover most of the gcse grammar so a good starting point.

traviata Sat 28-Oct-17 16:51:47

Latin Linda grin

Tryingtodoourbest Sat 28-Oct-17 17:27:20

Hi again, DH is driving so I am going to attempt to write and answer (again as have accidentally deleted the last effort!). Please excuse typos as I am on my phone.

I teach another subject at a state school but did Latin during my degree and I did GCSE at school. I run a club for 45 minutes a week. That is all I can do as my main subject is a shortage one and I am only part time. I have run the GCSE for about 6 or 7 years.
I am afraid though that I do use Cambridge Latin. I know it is not as systematic as the other courses available (I have had experience of several different courses over the years) but is the most accessible in my opinion for independent learners. The WJEC GCSE was developed by Cambridge Latin so you can follow the course with the books easily. No I do not work for them but I went to the consultation meetings as I wanted a course I could do with my students given the ocr GCSE was not viable for us as it was but to be timetabled. I also trialled the distance learning modules for book 3, 4 and the literature which worked well. The benefit of this course for us is that I could opt not to do English into Latin - again not particularly traditional but a means to an end.

For the half GCSE, you learn vocabulary and grammar for books 1 and 2. For the full gcse it is just beyond book 3 for paper 1 and then a choice of more language (book 4- and some English to Latin), controlled assessment (coursework on an area of Roman history of your choice - this is what we do), a Roman history paper or literature.
There is an independent learner’s manual and answer book that links with the books and the website is good too. There is also an edvd for books 1 and2.

It has worked really well for my students as they can get a qualification in a relatively short time. No it probably isn’t as highly regarded as OCR but much better than nothing. The feedback has been excellent and one student had an offer to read classics at Cambridge - her WJEC GCSE was brought up in her interview and she felt it really helped secure the offer.

I am happy to answer any other questions. Hope this helps.

Paperclipmover Sat 28-Oct-17 21:31:28

I've often thought about teaching myself Latin but not got much further than the thinking. I might have a look at this WJEC myself.

Japanese Sun 29-Oct-17 10:43:50

Thanks very much everyone - I will look into the WJEC qualification.

Tryingtodoourbest Sun 29-Oct-17 10:58:46

This is what we do but they also offer a GCSE which I imagine is more like OCR. Level 2 still carries the same points as GCSE and at the moment WJEC has no plans to stop this qualification.

www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/latin/latin-level-1-2-certificate/

Tryingtodoourbest Sun 29-Oct-17 11:00:37

Ah actually the performance points stop in 2018 for level 2 but is still better than nothing.

Moominmammacat Sun 29-Oct-17 11:07:56

MY DS did the online Cambridge Latin, not entirely successfully, but the tutors were excellent.

Japanese Sun 29-Oct-17 11:15:16

Moomin - it's the online Cambridge one am looking at but am keen that it will eventually end in a GCSE qualification & the language they use on their website explaining the different qualifications is a bit opaque & confusing. Or maybe it's just me! confused

What made you opt for that one in the end? Am assuming the school your DS goes/went to doesn't offer Latin?

Michaelahpurple Sun 29-Oct-17 14:36:25

I can see the appeal of Cambridge if it ties to a gcse course. I just found it so annoying - teaching the children that canem means dog in the sentence Caecelius (sp) sees the dog and then that canis also means dog in the sentence the dog likes the slave and then only even later breaking the shocking news that cane also means dog etc etc. Oh the excitement - you can read a Latin sentence already. But you have no transferable skills.

But then I am utterly not a linguist so pseudo immersive methods really don't appeal to me! smile

Moominmammacat Mon 30-Oct-17 09:25:35

DS school went up to only Level 2, he was keen to continue and it was easier than taking him to a tutor. It's all a bit hazy (five years ago?) but the tutors were very helpful/amenable/available/encouraging but ultimately he didn't have the discipline to work at home and continued to uni with a language he could do at school. I think it's a good option if you have a motivated and disciplined child (which I don't). Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now