Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Nower Hill High School, Harrow

(7 Posts)
Cuppatea001 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:29:17

Hello All

I'm new here and having moved into the area about a year ago, we are now in the process of applying to senior schools. Up until now were were thinking of independent but having seen a few locally and also having seen Nower Hill, we are very impressed with Nower Hill and wanted to know from parents whose children are going there what they think of the school.

Is it as good as the open evening suggested it was? We got a very positive feeling from the school.

I am worried about the huge size of the school. Last year the class sizes were 25 and now they have gone up to 27. Space seems to be an issue but education seems to be very good.

Any opinions - good or bad would be welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

Paddington68 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:36:04

Friends son went to NH and he has just finished at University. It's a good school.

ArabellaRockerfella Fri 27-Oct-17 17:40:05

I have 2 there at the moment and one at Uni (Russell group). I have nothing but praise for the school.

Cuppatea001 Fri 27-Oct-17 18:28:28

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Could I ask what it is that makes you feel happy about the school? I suppose I have the worries about my DD starting senior school - being much bigger than her current school but I feel that she would benefit from being able to walk to school, have local friends and also Nower Hill have a very wide curriculum with a choice of many subjects. I was impressed by the Headmaster and the senior staff.

The children seemed to be happy and polite.

Anything else you could share would be most appreciated.

Thanks again

Larsitter Fri 27-Oct-17 18:56:30

We know someone shose child went there and liked it and they specifically moved to be nearer it (though they did end up at not a great university but that may be unrelated). We pay school fees instead but there are plenty of good state schools. If we had been picking state schools we would probably have gone first for grammars and then religious etc Also it depends on your child and what sort of environment they will be happy in and what kind of education they want.

Cuppatea001 Fri 27-Oct-17 19:03:00

Thank you Larsitter. You are right. We are also considering independent but not the highly academic ones as we want a school that offers good pastoral care without the academic pressures.

We like Northwood College so I think it will be between Nower Hill and Northwood College. Both seem to tick many boxes and DD likes both.

I suppose my worries/anxieties about the next stage are not necessarily my DDs.

It's just a difficult decision to make.

Larsitter Sat 28-Oct-17 09:19:52

One of my children was there (NC) for a year (before a more academic school) and it was really nice. I am not the person to ask as I have only used private schools and been to them so I am biased in their favour but I would pick NC over NH. Obviously money plays a huge part too and we cannot get around that. I have not looked at what percentage of upper sixth go to the top 10 universities comparing NC and NH but I would probably also do that too and also look at your daughter's interests and hobbies and see which school is a good fit. These are very personal decisions to make

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: