Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Henrietta Barnett vs Dr Challoners school

(13 Posts)
NKT0912 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:06:51

Hello everyone,
My daughter has secured Band A in HBS and also has cleared the Buckinghamshire exam targetting Dr Challoners school.
We have recently moved to Northwood just in 7.5miles from Dr Challoners.
We are ready to move to Harrow/Pinner if required to make travel easier for HBs.
My question is what is great about HBs from a GCSE result perspective?
What is great amongst the 2?
We need to fill up the CAF form by the 31st, hence need help.

Japanese Mon 23-Oct-17 22:12:19

Do you have any younger children? Which does your DD prefer?

I would put whichever you like the best first on your CAF. Band A is a fantastic result for HBS but still not 100 percent guaranteed a place given the reported experiences from last year. So, whilst it's good to be prepared to move if needs be, I wouldn't be making definite plans to move until after March 1st.

Good luck - they are both excellent schools.

FanDabbyFloozy Tue 24-Oct-17 09:15:00

Pick the nearest school. Even if you move (again!) to Pinner, your DD will be travelling an hour by private coach which rules out plays, sports, clubs..

bunerison Tue 24-Oct-17 19:50:05

I think that you'd be nuts to send her to HBS from Harrow or Pinner, the journey will be horrible and make it a very long day and why would you move twice? Dr Challoner is a great school and easy to get to, make your life easy.

Zodlebud Tue 24-Oct-17 20:31:22

Assuming you are in Northwood, Herts, then you are out of catchment for Challoners and borderline whether or not your daughter would get a place based on admissions distances in previous years. I know plenty of girls do use the Met Line to get to school BUT if you have a year where lots of girls pass the 11+ then you might not get in based on living 7.5 miles away and outside Bucks?

Both schools are in high demand and your daughter deserves a huge pat on the back, although just passing the exam is no guarantee of a place. My friends found out the hard way. In Bucks, in catchment - first choice was their closest grammar school. School oversubscribed and no place allocated. They went to appeal and got a place at another grammar miles away but thankfully on his dad's driving route to work. Not everybody has the ability to do that though. Just warning you that the element of choice may not be available to you (but I hope it is as your daughter sounds very worthy of a place).

poisonedbypen Tue 24-Oct-17 20:41:06

Why would you move again? If your DD is going to do well she will do well anywhere. The only reason HBS gets "better" results is that they select more highly in the first place.

NKT0912 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:56:50

Thanks for your respinse

camcam1 Wed 25-Oct-17 09:57:51

Congratulations to your daughter.
We don't know your full circumstances, such as any other children to consider. As HBS had no catchment and I'm unsure if you'd get Dr C, I'd be more inclined to list HBS first, as you say you could move. Pinner is still a distance away though and the traffic would be horrid. However my son has nearly an hours commute to school in the coach and after the lunch, I think it's his best part of the day and does also catch a late 6pm coach in the evening.
Where do you think your daughter would fit best? What's the families (and of course her) preference. I don't have a daughter, but if I did HBS is a fantastic school ( I know very little of Dr C) and I would list it first. Good luck x

BubblesBuddy Wed 25-Oct-17 12:26:29

They are different "lists". Bucks has central admissions and there is no harm trying to get into DrCH but, I too, think it is a long shot. HBS is not in Bucks so will not be on their "list". It is a separate admissions process. There is nothing to stop you going for HBS as well and accepting a place if you are offered one. Both schools do well with bright girls. Move closer to DrCH if you really want it and ditto HBS.

poisonedbypen Wed 25-Oct-17 20:41:42

I don't understand your post BubblesBuddy. All applications are made on one CAF through the local council. No-one would get offered 2 schools.

NKT0912 Thu 26-Oct-17 00:03:52

Hi..thx for your response.
I have a 7 yr old son too. But my decision is based on what is good for my daughter. She can fit in any school ; her criteria is to go to any grammar school.
Thx for the insight on travel time.

NKT0912 Thu 26-Oct-17 00:04:47

Thx camcam!

NKT0912 Thu 26-Oct-17 00:16:29

Yes, no one will get offered 2 places as the same time.
Once the offer is placed for any school selected in CAF form, we have to accept or reject that offer in 10days. The whole selection process is based of "Equal preference system". Hence, if you reject the 01st offer given, you go in a different waiting list which is not advisable.
Better to not play with the process and system under normal circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now