Talk

Advanced search

entering girls school at 13+ (Guildford area)

(12 Posts)
pisacake Sun 22-Oct-17 00:55:35

Any thoughts? DD is in a mixed prep school in Y6, she can stay till Y8 obviously but then we need to send her somewhere else.

From what I can see most of the schools are just want girls at 11+, how easy is it to get a place at 13?

Complicating factor is that there is possibility that we move overseas for Y9 (DS is in Y11 now and is rather less self-sufficient than DS so we want to get him through his education before we move, if we do move) but that's not yet settled.

So there is a sense to which we just leave her where she is but she at least needs to have a reasonable fallback plan.

I can see SWPS (Chertsey) and St Teresas, are there other options? Obviously the co-ed schools are options, although not convinced about the merits for a girl.

DD is quite sensible, not a genius, I guess average for the private sector but makes the most of her abilities which go in various directions (art, sport, music), and current school has offered 30% scholarship to that end. Also quite happy in herself (though she is not yet in puberty so that could change) and gets on well with others.

How would it work if we did the following?

1. Apply for a school (let's say SWPS) offering 13+ with a view to possibly moving overseas instead
2. In the event we don't move overseas, try to apply during Y8 to enter a school at 13+ that doesn't normally offer entry at that point (let's say GHS).

I guess all the schools want to keep their rolls full and there are students who leave every year? But how does it work out in practice? Long waiting lists or in practice relatively few applicants?

Mary21 Sun 22-Oct-17 07:45:29

Schools like priorsfield seem to have a 13+ entry.
How many girls stay at your prep till year 8.if very few or none will your dd be happy. If lots where do the girls move on to?
I imagine schools like GHS you would be looking at an occasional place that’s available because someone has left. Of course people do leave.
School with a boarding dept often have admissions older than age 11 because a lot of people don’t want to start boarding so young.
Some co Ed,s like Wellington are 13+

homebythesea Sun 22-Oct-17 07:53:56

If you are looking at St Teresa's why not Manor House- they have out performed StT and a new Head is shaking things up.

Fffion Sun 22-Oct-17 19:59:42

SWPS is a great school, so you are unlikely to have regrets. Their Y9 entry is a new thing, and my understanding is that the student goes through the normal selection process in January of Y6, and the school will allow them to defer to Y9.

Don't tell any school that you might be moving.

pisacake Sun 22-Oct-17 20:05:27

Yes that's right, I guess the unknown at this point is what schools she gets accepted to (we are looking at SWPS, St Cats, GHS)

Fffion Sun 22-Oct-17 20:33:00

How definite is your move?

My inkling is that if you can guarantee being here for Y7 and Y8, then go to the senior school of your choosing, especially if it's GHS.

A lot can happen between now and then.

I don't think your DD, unless she is particularly anxious, will see moving in Y7, then again in Y9, as a lot of moves.

Bekabeech Sun 22-Oct-17 21:04:04

Have you spoken to your Prep for advice. The one mixed Prep I spoke to about this was actively talking to senior schools to get their girls into the best schools for them.
Also more boys schools are going co-ed, even Charterhouse in a few years (St John’s and Cranleigh spring to mind).

Issy Sun 22-Oct-17 21:57:21

I know that in the last couple of years girls have joined St Cats and Priorsfield in Y9 , illing gaps left by girls who go on to all Y9 entry public schools or other schools. It’s a point at which there seems to be quite a bit of movement.

YellowFlamingo Sun 22-Oct-17 23:20:34

Not sure timing works but Charterhouse is going co-ed from 2021 for 13+ entry.
Priors Field always have spaces but it is not a very academic school -
only right for the right girl.
I am sure places like St Cats, GHS, Tormead have occasional places
I believe schools like St John's Leatherhead, Wellington College have 13+ entries. You are right it is tricker for the more sought-after all-girls schools but not impossible.
There is no harm contacting schools to enquire about this.

weary12 Mon 23-Oct-17 07:26:07

Tormead nearly always has a few girls enter in year 9, so does St Cats (prefers to give boarding places unless very academic!).

shank2 Mon 23-Oct-17 08:12:31

Prior's Field increase in size at 13+ by about 10-12 girls each year and also mix up the classes . It is academic but the intake has a much greater top to bottom than the selective schools.

holidayqueriwifi Wed 25-Oct-17 20:35:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now