Talk

Advanced search

St Nicholas (Fleet ) and Calthorpe

(11 Posts)
Oleanderrules Sat 21-Oct-17 09:42:34

Hello

Any thoughts on St Nicholas in Fleet and Calthorpe as both are possible schools for our DD next year when we move to the area

She’s in our local state school at the moment and is happy there. Someone mentioned that Calthorpe is oversubscribed so we may have to pay just to get her to a local and easy to walk to school

Any advice appreciated as we’re just not familiar with the area

PersilOrAriel Sat 21-Oct-17 09:50:41

What year is she currently in? And have you got a moving date/house lined up?

Oleanderrules Sat 21-Oct-17 11:07:09

She’s current year 9 and it looks like March time to move
My DH is sorting out the housing side
and we will be renting not buying . He said there were some newish estates there but I haven’t been to take a look yet

PersilOrAriel Sat 21-Oct-17 14:36:41

Half of Fleet is catchment for Calthorpe and half is Courtmoor. Both are oversubscribed but you may be lucky.

St Nicholas has had been graded excellent in the most recent IS inspection and gets great results. She’ll need to sit an entrance exam if you want her to go there. We’ve just moved from a Fleet state school to St Nicholas and are very happy with the decision.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:30:54

The Edenbrook housing estate is opposite Calthorpe Park school, but when we lived there, people moving in couldn't get a place for their children. That might have changed since the building was extended and the leisure centre moved on to the Edenbrook site.

Towards the last term of Year 9 is tricky, because options for GCSE are usually chosen during the spring term.

Oleanderrules Sat 21-Oct-17 16:35:52

Yes I know the timing isn’t ideal because is gcse options confused

JoeMaplin Sat 21-Oct-17 16:39:19

Calthorpe choose GCSE options at end if year 8 and the gcse courses are 3 years. Have you phoned to see if they have year 9 spaces? Calthorpe is a great school.

Oleanderrules Sat 21-Oct-17 16:44:02

Have done nothing yet ! Will start calling round next week

JoeMaplin Sat 21-Oct-17 16:51:31

Good luck.

disahsterdahling Mon 23-Oct-17 16:40:08

Have you looked at Court Moor? They do the traditional two year GCSE, though start some of the Maths and science work in year 9, but options are chosen in year 9, so it's easier to slot in from elsewhere. Even if you are in Calthorpe's catchment, you might get into Court Moor, the catchments are rather oddly laid out and you can live closer to Court Moor but be in Calthorpe's catchment.

Oleanderrules Mon 23-Oct-17 21:04:05

I will look at Court moor also then thanks for the advice . It’s great that there are good state schools but am a bit worried re the timing of the move bearing in mind some schools will have already started the gcse curriculum. Feel a bit bad as had no idea and thought year 10 was when that started

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now