Talk

Advanced search

Easy to read Spanish language YA novels for GCSE student?

(10 Posts)
millifiori Thu 19-Oct-17 08:16:49

Does anyone know of a Spanish version of Barrington Stokes style very easy to read YA books in Spanish? DS2 has a learning disorder which means he just can't learn stuff by rote - it won't stick. He's good at Spanish but does badly in tests because he hasn't rote-learned the verb endings etc. even though he's tried to. I was wondering if a different approach would help - if he reads some very easy novels the use of vocab in context might sink in better.

Thanks

AlbusPercival Thu 19-Oct-17 08:24:28

Not a novel, but have you tried the app duolingo? It's free. You learn the verb endings etc by osmosis playing games.

When you first start you can do s quiz so it's pitched at your level. It saves hours of learning cup, plate chicken if you already have some knowledge

millifiori Thu 19-Oct-17 09:10:07

That sounds great, Albus. I'll check it out, thanks.

evilharpy Thu 19-Oct-17 09:14:31

I don't know who Barrington Stokes is but Carlos Ruíz Zafón has written some great YA novels. I read them as an adult and really enjoyed them. It depends on his level of ability though I guess, I'm not sure a GCSE student for example would find them easy.

traviata Thu 19-Oct-17 11:05:10

OP I am interested in the same question, and I found a few links with ideas:
fluentu
goodreads
iwillteachyou

and this discussion makes some good points;
duolingo.

As a result I have decided I will seek out some graphic novels in Spanish, and maybe some graded readers aimed at Spanish teenagers who struggle with literacy ( that's the kind of thing you meant by Barrington Stokes?). I am also encouraging DD to watch Netflix with Spanish audio.

I have been browsing about on amazon dot es, and there are plenty of teen or YA books on offer, but without knowing the vocabulary range, it is very difficult to pick something out.

If anyone can advise about where to find graded books aimed at Spanish native speakers, I'd be very grateful.

millifiori Thu 19-Oct-17 15:42:55

@evilharpy Barrington Stoke is a publisher that produces books for teens and adults who really struggle with reading, so its authors use very simple sentence constructions and limited vocab that is easy to read and understand. But the content is age appropriate so they don't feel condescended to, or made to read kids' books. I was just hoping Spain had a similar publisher, but can't find out on Google.

@traviata - thank you. Those are great suggestions. I was thinking of graphic novels too. They are so good at helping with meaning, and DS loves them anyway.

DumbledoresApprentice Thu 19-Oct-17 16:07:55

Are there any books in English that he loves and has read a lot? I am a big Harry Potter fan and when I was doing an A Level language I bought myself a copy of philosopher’s stone in the language I was learning. I picked up loads of vocab from reading it and it was pretty easy because I was so familiar with the story.

Piggywaspushed Thu 19-Oct-17 16:26:40

There is a Spanish version of Diary Of A Wimpy Kid?

evilharpy Thu 19-Oct-17 18:07:59

Sorry millifiori I don't think Carlos Ruíz Zafón is what you need at all then! I will have a hunt and see if I can find anything.

millifiori Thu 19-Oct-17 18:51:17

Dumbledore he loves James Bond novels. I'm sure they've been translated but may be a bit too challenging for him at GCSE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now