Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a Year 8 who struggles with French?

(5 Posts)
IAmBreakmasterCylinder Wed 18-Oct-17 18:40:29

DS does not seem to be able to retain anything from French lessons.

He struggles with every bit of homework and can't seem to grasp even the basics.

He mainly gets by finding similar sentences from past work and guess work.

His school has compulsory MFL at GCSE and I have no idea how he is going to manage.

He has been informally diagnosed with high functioning dyslexia but is doing fine in all other subjects.

What should I expect/ask for from school to support him? Is it worth trying to get him a tutor?

charlmum60 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:52:36

I dont have a child in year 8 but I do know that nearly all the children with dyslexia in my daughters year group - no longer study a language - they have opted to do one language up until Yr 9 maybe Yr 10 and then asked to give up the language and it has not been a problem ...one of my DD's friends even got a C in her Mock Yr 10 end exams but has still opted to give the subject up because she A*'s in every other subject and didnt want to pursue if she was only going to get a C in German ...

hmcAsWas Wed 18-Oct-17 18:59:39

Our headteacher was perfectly fine with letting dd drop Spanish and she is not doing a MFL in her GCSEs. She has dyslexia and what she could retain from two years of Spanish could be written on the back of a postcard. It's senseless to insist that those with dyslexia study an MFL

IAmBreakmasterCylinder Wed 18-Oct-17 19:03:45

Thanks, that is good to know. I think they have to choose GCSE subjects from year 9 now so I think I'll email school and ask.

It will be a weight off his mind if he knows it's not for long.

Justgivemesomepeace Wed 18-Oct-17 19:03:48

My daughter was the same. Has dyslexic tendencies and French was a complete non starter. It was laughable listening to her trying to read it and understand the pronunciation, and as for spelling it. I felt sorry for the teacher to be honest but she did get a postcard sent home for trying hard! Luckily she could drop it after yr 8. It would have been a total waste of everyone's time if she had to do it. She struggles enough reading and spelling in English.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now