Talk

Advanced search

Secondary school options- single sex only

(6 Posts)
user1495451339 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:08:59

Just wondering what people think about the options where I live for Secondary school:

Catchment school = single sex comprehensive

Church of England mixed school - need to attend church as live too far away from it to get in on distance

Catholic mixed comp - need to be catholic or attend church to get in (non one got in on distance criteria last year

If you live near town next door you can get into an outstanding mixed comp - we don't live near enough.

I have an issue in that unless you are religious or move house you can't get your child into a mixed school. How can this be right in this day and age???

user1495451339 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:20:01

Anyone else have this sort of issue?

crwox Tue 17-Oct-17 15:44:57

We have a catchment area for all schools here - you can chose between a denominational or non-denominational. However you don't have to attend church to get into any school here. Depending on which primary school your child attends normally decides the secondary as each secondary school has 'associated primary schools' so nearly all the children attending move up to to the same secondary.

user1495451339 Tue 17-Oct-17 16:06:04

You are lucky, all the children seem to spread out. Forgot to mention the single sex grammar schools - which you have to pass an exam to get into!

crwox Tue 17-Oct-17 17:04:14

The only single-sex schools we have here are private schools and we don't have any grammar schools.

It sounds totally different.
It sounds crazy that you have to pass an exam to get into secondary school.

I hope you work something out, is there no chance getting into the other schools? Can you not appeal?

CamperVamp Wed 18-Oct-17 08:52:36

It isn't right in this day and age, in a secular democracy.

It is a scandal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now