Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

House move after secondary school deadline

(12 Posts)
Karen333 Mon 16-Oct-17 17:20:48

Hi, can anyone help please?

We are moving house and it looks like our sale will go through in November / start of December. We are moving into rented so will not know our new address by the deadline on 31st October.

I have tried to speak to several,people at our local council to confirm the position but don't seem to be getting anywhere, I wouldn't have thought it was that difficult! I can't be the only person to move in November!

If the application is considered as late does that mean it isn't looked at until all other places are allocated i.e. In March?

The council guide to admissions isn't clear at all but I have found a paragraph saying that any changes of address after 21st Feb won't be considered until after 1st March. To me this means that if it's before 21st Feb it will be considered in the initial allocation process.

Does anyone else have experience of this? We were considering a move to a different area and they were quite clear that if your change of address is before Feb you can change preferences no problem so I can't see why my local council can't tell me?

Thanks

Karen333 Mon 16-Oct-17 17:22:37

P.S. I'm panicking cos the main reason for the move was to get into the good school we are moving to be close to and it might be a complete waste of time with her having to travel back over to the rubbish school close to where we are now, help!

tiggytape Mon 16-Oct-17 17:46:22

The national deadline is October 31st but some councils have an additional period of grace for people who move house after this period. Unfortunately there is no national rule on the period of grace so you will be reliant on getting answers from the council (or scouring your council's admissions booklet and footnotes to see if it explains it).

If your application is late, it will not be looked at until all other children who applied on time have been allocated a place. As such, if the school you want is oversubscribed, you would not get a place as all places would be allocated before your application was processed.
Your place on the waiting list however would not be impacted - the disadvantage only extends to the March allocations.
It is therefore important to push the council for an answer in writing (email is fine) about how late you can apply and still be considered "on-time" if you can prove a house move.

I haven't heard of a council who extends that until February (December is the latest I have heard of but there are so many councils that it is possible a smaller one could work on tighter timeframes) but, whatever the date is, you will need to clarify with the council how long after the national deadline they will consider an application as being "on-time" and what circumstances / proof you would need to show (they normally only accept late with a "good reason" and expect proof so you'd need to ask what proof they would accept).

As an extra thought: I am assuming you have sold / are selling your current house. If so, the new address will be your admissions address with no issue.
However, if you are not selling your current home and just moving into a rented home nearby, you may also need to clarify that with the council. The council may refuse to accept the rented address as the admissions address even if you live there where the 2 homes are close together (some people rent a home near a better school to get a school place and then move back to their original home having accepted the school place and - understandably - councils try their best to clamp down on this as it cheats someone else of a place). Assuming your old house is sold or your new house is miles away from your old house though, that shouldn't be an issue.

prh47bridge Mon 16-Oct-17 17:55:10

Are you sure the February date relates to secondary school admissions? That sounds more like a date for primary school applications. If you PM me the name of the LA involved I will be happy to take a look if you aren't sure.

Karen333 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:37:50

Thanks, its Wolverhampton council and we are selling the house

Karen333 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:41:02

Please see page 47 and page 52 of the admissions booklet

Karen333 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:01:49

It's Shropshire council that says you can change preferences due to change of address up to 1st Feb, I wish Wolverhampton council were that clear.

Karen333 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:25:48

Can anyone please help? I have to say whether to accept the offer on our house tomorrow and I don't know what to do, there's no point moving if she can't get into the school.
I have tried to push the council for a clear definite date and answer and I'm getting nowhere, I have also emailed them but they could take ages to reply.

prh47bridge Mon 16-Oct-17 19:48:21

Interesting and about as clear as mud. I think it is certainly arguable that the admissions booklet implies they will take into account any new address up to 28th February but it would be better if you had a definitive statement from them, ideally in writing (email will do). If the council won't answer you will have to decide whether or not to take the risk. If you do decide to take the risk and they use your old address you can argue on appeal that the admissions booklet implies they would use your new address, but obviously it would be better if you don't end up having to appeal.

I wish I could give you a clear answer as to what to do. I'm afraid I can't. Sorry.

Karen333 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:23:21

As clear as mid definitely, glad it's not just me that thinks it. I will try again to get some sense from someone tomorrow., thanks.

Karen333 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:25:13

Sorry, meant mud, brain has melted!

eddiemairswife Tue 17-Oct-17 12:30:34

In any event put your desired school in 1st place on the CAF. It does give a Feb date in the booklet for a change of address, but the fact that you are moving from an owned house into rented accommodation may raise suspicions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now