Talk

Advanced search

Questions to ask Grammars?

(7 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Mon 16-Oct-17 13:11:57

We will be looking around the 2 local grammars with DS2 this week.

What kind of questions should I be asking?

How much homework every night?
What is the Student Support like?

Anything other important ones I've missed?

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 16-Oct-17 13:56:02

Do they set?

Are top and bottom sets larger than middle sets?

What will happen at the end of year 9 if they feel the child is underperforming? Will there be additional support available for year 10/11?

Is there a sixth form at the school and if so how many go on from year 11 into the sixth form and how many go elsewhere?

Are you interested in destination universities for the cohorts etc.

BaconAndAvocado Mon 16-Oct-17 16:40:52

Thanks allthe

Both local grammars are good (as far as I'm aware)
One is a much older building and spread out, the other has more modern facilities.

The latter DS2 could walk to, the former is a short bus ride away.

HorlicksBunny Mon 16-Oct-17 16:50:48

I would ask what the intake is like - is there a catchment area? Do kids come from a local area? What's the extra curricular engagement like? (Music concerts, sports events etc.)

How do they structure GCSE choices? How many GCSEs do they get to do? Do most of the kids stay on for 6th form?

What's the staff turnover? Is there a high number of either long standing experienced staff / NQTs? Do they have any current vacancies, difficulties in filling vacancies?

sendsummer Mon 16-Oct-17 16:56:15

Below might be of varying interest to you depending
Provision for different MFLs, music, art, drama computer science at GCSE and A level. 3 or 2 year GCSEs (i.e. selecting options in year 8 or 9) and if the former how do they extend the curriculum.
Any house system with activities and competitions. Sports.
Support for students falling behind (results may be more about support by parents and tutoring than teaching)

seven201 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:27:14

Are the kids pushed too much?
What is the staff turnover? (Not specific to grammars that one, but can be great indicator)
How do the GCSE options work? Some schools effectively only offer one 'free' choice.
I would be cheeky and ask "would you send your child here?".

I teach in a grammar.

BaconAndAvocado Mon 16-Oct-17 20:59:40

Haha seven I like that last question!

I have very little experience of the grammar system. I live in Kent now but grew up in London.

We're over the moon that our son has passed his Kent Test but don't really know what to expect now. DS1 went to a local non-grammar secondary school.

What are the major differences?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now