Advanced search

Is it terrible that she has an American accent?

(13 Posts)
G0GIRLG0 Thu 12-Oct-17 20:25:04

My DS is in year 9 and needs extra help in Maths and English. He has found an online website on youtube that seems perfect and follows the english curriculum except the main person teaching Maths has an american accent. Do you think it should be a British maths teacher explaining.

Ta1kinPeece Thu 12-Oct-17 20:39:30

there was one of the US ones that DCs school suggested they use .... which channel is it and I'll check with my kids

malvinandhobbes Thu 12-Oct-17 20:45:21

I am American and raising my children in the UK. They are doing just fine in Maths and English. I don't think my American accent has held them back at all.

What difference could it possibly make? A 15 year old is not at risk of losing his UK accent.

Eduone Thu 12-Oct-17 20:46:19

He goes in lots of channels as they are free so its not one specific. However, they all seem to be American teachers I just wondered if it was better for us to look for British teachers? Or wondered if there was a view that it doesn't matter if its English or American? thanks.

Ttbb Thu 12-Oct-17 20:47:37

No-why? So long as she still knows how to pronounce every properly it won't make any difference will it?

toffee1000 Thu 12-Oct-17 20:49:04

Maths is the same the world over. They teach the English curriculum. It's not like there's a set of American maths and a set of British maths that are totally different to each other.

ownedbySWD Thu 12-Oct-17 20:50:46

There might be slightly differences in terminology, similar to how musical note names are different...? But otherwise it's probably fine, especially if your child e joys the videos.

Eduone Thu 12-Oct-17 20:51:07

Yes your right. After all, he's been watching American TV for a few years. thanks.

Archfarchnad Thu 12-Oct-17 20:51:59

I really don't get the problem - how would you react if your DC's new teacher at school had an American accent? Would that be a problem too?
My D.C. Have gone to school at an international school with teachers from a number of countries. Many American teachers - yet they still have a British accent. The one thing that's stuck is the occasional 'gotten' , which used to be British usage anyway!

Eduone Thu 12-Oct-17 20:57:53

All your points are valid. Would your opinion change if it was a paid subscription?
Actually, I think the content is the most important thing and whether he's learning.

kitnkaboodle Thu 12-Oct-17 21:08:21

Is the issue that English isn't your first language, so you worry that your ds will pick up an American accent??

irvineoneohone Thu 12-Oct-17 21:40:54

I am not native English speaker and my ds is learning maths on American website for years. He has no problem at all in UK state school.
He even learns English grammar on American website.(They talk about differences in English/American grammar.) No problem at all either.

irvineoneohone Thu 12-Oct-17 21:45:23

Only thing is that sometimes they use different terms in English and American maths. It may confuse the dc if they are struggling at maths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now