Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Headline GCSE stats....

(93 Posts)
BertrandRussell Thu 12-Oct-17 12:09:29

...any other education nerds looking at them? How did your school do? I don't think i realised that, despite everyone agreeing that a 4 was the new C, it would be a 5 for performance measures. Which is a bit shit for schools like ours.

YogiYoni Thu 12-Oct-17 12:13:12

Do you have a link?

BertrandRussell Thu 12-Oct-17 12:15:01

here

RedSkyAtNight Thu 12-Oct-17 12:32:04

You can see the 4+ stats as well.

BertrandRussell Thu 12-Oct-17 12:38:22

Can you? I must have not looked properly blush

geogteach Thu 12-Oct-17 13:06:07

I was surprised by the 5+ too. School where I am governor has done well. Need to check figures from last year as I suspect one local
School although it is still average has dropped considerably.

LivingInLaLaLand Thu 12-Oct-17 13:19:41

I can't find it in the link, but googled out if curiosity. Our school has done very well I'm pleased to say, but they are listed against local private grammar schools. Seems unfair given that they already have an intake of higher achieving kids, so it's impossible for a mixed ability state school to really compete

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 12-Oct-17 13:26:38

How does it do on progress 8?

gillybeanz Thu 12-Oct-17 13:37:10

66.18% of kids got grades 7-9 at dd school
They don't do progress 8

Maths did particularly well.

BertrandRussell Thu 12-Oct-17 13:46:18

What did you google to get to 4+ figures?

TeenTimesTwo Thu 12-Oct-17 13:48:01

DD's school had lower results than usual, I'm thinking it was probably a blip in the intake. But for the first time in a few years there is clear water between them and other local school (with DD's school behind).

TeenTimesTwo Thu 12-Oct-17 13:49:12

The 4+ figures are on the same link but there is a different button to select just above where the data shows.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 12-Oct-17 13:50:55

.. if comparing schools.

If looking at one school it is just below the graphs.

AuntieFester Thu 12-Oct-17 14:07:43

Bertrand
The box labelled 'looking at' is a drop down menu and you can choose the 'Performance at grade 4/C or above'.

Progress 8 in our prospective school has dropped, new GCSE's perhaps?
On the other hand they enter roughly 90% of students for the EBacc and about 60% achieve it.
Another school nearby only enters 50% for Ebacc and most of them achieve it. Hmmm... is that a way of weeding out the weakest? Their Progress 8 is stunning.

Laniakea Thu 12-Oct-17 14:34:32

what's a good progress 8 score? Or attainment 8?

The 5+ at dd's school is a good 20% lower than usual, 4+ is actually higher though (than C+ in previous years).

The Ebac is relatively low - higher than average - but less than you might expect from a 'leafy' comp ... they don't require students to do a language & always miss out on a high Ebac score.

Laniakea Thu 12-Oct-17 14:41:17

I want to know the 7-9 rate too ... I'm surprised they don't record it.

When I was looking at schools for high achieving dd that's what I wanted to see. It is actually 24% vs 79% 4+ and 59% 5+. I'm happy to send dd there but it wouldn't be a school I would consider for ds (ASD & LDs)

MrGrumpy01 Thu 12-Oct-17 22:17:10

Dd's new school looks good. The other local school has a progress 8 of +0.72, which is pretty good given that a few years back it had a gcse pass rate of about 30%.

BertrandRussell Fri 13-Oct-17 11:42:42

Our school (I don't know why I call it our school- I only have very peripheral involvement with it now, but I've been championing it for ages) A*- C has dropped 14% since last year. sad 14%!

And the Head and staff had done such a brilliant job hauling it out of the quagmire over the past 10 years. Results steadily improving, reputation steadily improving-then this. I could weep for them.

Soursprout Fri 13-Oct-17 13:56:13

Dd's school have suffered a 16% drop in results! shock Their percentage A-c's were already low ( despite a + progress 8 score)
I'm so sad for them..
I was expecting it to be pretty bad (pretty cagey statement on results day plus apparently it was a low ability year group with lots of late additions to the school) but I wasn't quite expecting it to be quite so bad.
Like your school Bertrand it's been trying to drag itself up for years and things seemed to be moving in the right direction with lots more bums on seats in the lower years.sad Guess we are doomed to be the sink school around here for a bit longer

tinypop4 Fri 13-Oct-17 14:07:59

I am a secondary teacher who worked in state until recently and now I work in a private school where progress 8 is not used as a measurement.
I have primary school age DC so looking at these from a parenting point of view. We have a difficult school allocations system in our city and really there is little choice at secondary level of where you go to school.
The school DD would have to go to if we chose to send her to a state has a progress 8 score of -0.01 - still struggling to understand what this means? Grade 5 in E&M is 49%, with the most popular comprehensive in the city 58%.
This school (the first one) has had a bad reputation in the past so I'm really not sure what these results mean.

BertrandRussell Fri 13-Oct-17 14:26:11

Progress 8 is a measure of how pupils do actually compared to how they should have done based on prior attainment. So a Progress 8 score of 0 means the kids all performed according to prediction. i think a score of -.5 triggers an inspection, but don't quote me on that one.

multivac Fri 13-Oct-17 14:30:34

Our sons' school is, apparently, 'well below average' for Progress 8; but as last year, only if you go by 'first attempt' data, rather than 'best outcomes'. The school up the road that makes 100% of its students take the European Computer Driving Licence does rather better....

I cannot stand the league tables, with their false promise of simple, direct comparison. They do so much damage - to schools and to students. sad

On the plus side, when Ofsted came to call earlier this year, they had no choice but to categorise the school as 'good', despite the league tables. I think it's exceptional... smile

BlueBelle123 Fri 13-Oct-17 14:30:55

Just looked at my 3 local secondaries, school 1 is the school that most parents are breaking their necks trying to get in to and its always oversubscribed, school 2(DS's school) is considered pretty OK and school 3 never oversubscribed so has to take all the managed moved DC.
Well to my surprise schools 2 and 3 have come out as average whilst school 1 is below average!.......I suppose you really need to have a few years worth of results to really gauge how a school is doing.

Rkay2 Fri 13-Oct-17 14:33:27

Progress 8 score of 0 means that students do as expected.
It is only based on students that have prior data e.g. Have key stage 2 sats scores

If a school has a progress 8 score of say -1 then students on average at that school achieve 1 grade lower than the expected grade when compared with student of the same ability across the country.

If a school progress 8 score is +0.5 then on average students achieve half a grade better than one would expect when compared to students with similar ability profile.

Does that help?

tinypop4 Fri 13-Oct-17 14:55:06

Rkay thank you that's very simply put. So a score of -0.01 looks a bit ropey but is actually broadly fine in terms of student progress.
I would imagine, in this case that leafy comps and selective grammars wouldn't necessarily have a high progress score as many students are coming in with high ks2 data but their level 5 and above scores will look very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now