Talk

Advanced search

Post 16 Options - Does learning have to be done at college/ sixth form?

(11 Posts)
Sunnystars Mon 09-Oct-17 17:07:07

Wondering what the options are here, can it be flexible as long as teen is studying?

Would it be possible for dc to do online/ evening class A levels with the (probable) help of a tutor and hopefully have some kind of part time job?

Sunnystars Mon 09-Oct-17 19:35:33

Anyone?

BettyBourbon Mon 09-Oct-17 19:47:45

I’m not sure how they monitor how they’re staying in education. DD was asked when she picked her GCSE results what her plans were.

The other thing to consider is that Level 3 courses need about 10 hours per week per subject - and I don’t remember seeing any around here that did them in evenings.

What about looking for an apprenticeship?

Sunnystars Mon 09-Oct-17 20:10:16

I'm just trying to find out what the possibilities are really.
Options seem to be very limited here with choices for apprenticeships. Colleges and sixth forms seem to be asking for 7 GCSE's with mainly 6 or above.

TeenTimesTwo Mon 09-Oct-17 20:26:19

BTECs shouldn't be asking for anything like those grades.

BettyBourbon Mon 09-Oct-17 22:07:03

Wow that’s high. Around here colleges were originally asking for C/5 in 5 subject including maths and English for a level 3 Btec course, but once the results came out it dropped to a C/4. Students that didn’t get that were offered a variety of Level 2 courses. I understand they want high grades for A level, but the threshold is usually lower for Btecs (which is great for people like DD who work at one level in class but then go to pot on exams...)

sashh Tue 10-Oct-17 04:54:34

Yes they can.

They need to be in education to 18 now but home ed is still an option which is what you are talking about.

My local council employs a teacher to advise parents on home ed, yours might do the same.

Basically the law is that you have to provide your child with an education, you can choose to send them to school but you can choose 'otherwise'.

There is also the 'training' route, so basically an apprenticeship.

catslife Tue 10-Oct-17 12:16:10

They don't need to be in education until 18, dcs need to be in education, training (including apprenticeships or on the job training) or employment.
I understand that for home ed post 18, dcs need to have started this earlier in their education.
If you claim child benefit (or tax credits) the education must be full time and you need to state on your renewal form where they will be studying e.g. A levels at XXXtown sixth form.
edyourself.org/articles/childbenefit.php

Sunnystars Tue 10-Oct-17 13:46:31

Blimey, so even funding further education myself isn't an option as dc will be in school after 16th birthday.

Mercifully today I have found a Btec a bit further afield which sounds ideal for dc and have registered interest for their open day.

Hopeful646 Tue 10-Oct-17 14:20:55

Sunny - that’s good news . Hope the open day visit goes well .

Sunnystars Tue 10-Oct-17 14:39:04

Thanks Hopeful.
Dc doesn't know anything about it yet so hopefully it'll it will raise a smile or two!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now