Talk

Advanced search

Economics A level - any teachers or parents of students out there?

(12 Posts)
KingscoteStaff Sat 07-Oct-17 11:37:38

DS in Yr 11 is thinking about A level choices.

His first thoughts were English, History and 2 from Geography/Philosophy/RS/French. Possible degree subjects might be some sort of History/Politics/Anthropology/Philosophy combination.

His History teacher is encouraging him to consider Economics as an A level as he thinks it works well with History.

So, my question is, how able a mathematician do you have to be to cope well with Economics A level? DS is predicted 8/9 in maths, but it by no means 'his thing' and he would not dream of doing a Maths A level. His interest would be in the macro/political side of Economics.

Any suggestions?

hertsandessex Sat 07-Oct-17 11:48:00

From a maths perspective absolutely no problem. The maths aspect is not that hard. Even at degree level the maths doesn't have to be that hard unless focus on theory or econometrics.

KingscoteStaff Sun 08-Oct-17 09:29:36

up for the Sunday bunch

2014newme Sun 08-Oct-17 09:30:41

I did economics and history. Loved history hates economics it was my worse grade. Wish I'd done geography instead., the maths isn't hard though.

BubblesBuddy Sun 08-Oct-17 11:43:43

If he does not want to do Economics, don't do it. What use would it be for his interests? He wouldn't get into a good university to do Economics without Maths A level these days so why not concentrate on what he likes instead of what he's not sure about.

For what it's worth, adding French into a degree may be useful because MFL students are sought after and it can help get offers from good universities if you include it as joint honours with over subscribed degrees such as History and English. However all the subjects your DS is interested in are fine as he has two facilitating subjects. Can he do Government and Politics A level if he is interested in this?

minesawine Sun 08-Oct-17 16:15:47

My DS does economics and maths. He is enjoying both but said that the maths part of economics is not that hard.

BubblesBuddy Sun 08-Oct-17 16:52:50

But at most decent universities they will want Maths A level for Economics so surely Economics on its own has not so much value as the other subjects because the complimentary one (Maths) is not being studied to A level. Most of the Economists at the school will be doing Maths A level. What value would the Economics have in this scenario? Even PPE at Oxford isn't bothered about it.

OffcialMalbecTaster Sun 08-Oct-17 21:22:58

I did economics and history and just scrapped a C at GSCE Maths but got As at A Level for economics. So you dont need to be a great mathematician in my experience.

KingscoteStaff Sun 08-Oct-17 22:17:12

It wouldn't be a stepping stone to an Economics degree, more a way of broadening his mind before a History/Politics/Philosophy type degree.

Stickerrocks Sun 08-Oct-17 22:43:21

Are you sure he is expected to take 4 A levels? Both of our two local sixth forms are only letting you take 3 subjects, even for the most able students.

Back to your original question, you need to be able to manipulate a few formulae interpret graphs. The maths is extremely straight forward. If you can add, subtract, multiply & divide, the maths is a doodle.

carnivalisover Sun 08-Oct-17 22:51:16

The maths part is fine if you understand graphs, you are given any formulas.

But I agree with Bubbles, no real point if they have no interest in it, and also yes, most good economics degrees want a decent maths grade.

There is also quite a lot of essay writing required, something to be considered if taking english and history, two other essay heavy subjects.

Our school asked them to start with 4 A levels with a chance to drop one of them at Christmas, but many students just took 3 from the off, as there were do many other things taking up their time like DofE, EPQ etc

BubblesBuddy Mon 09-Oct-17 13:53:31

All the other subjects would broaden his mind but the useful one of Politics is not on his list. Quite a few politics students see this as decent prep if it's available. If he is interested in politics at degree level, why is he not interested in it at A level if it's available? Why would Economics broaden his mind more than any other subject you mention?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now