Talk

Advanced search

Procedures after HPV injections

(20 Posts)
perhapstomorrow Thu 05-Oct-17 21:19:10

Just wandering if there is anyone who knows what sort of procedures should be followed after these injections are administered.

My dd had hers today. They were sent straight back to the classroom. She then complained of feeling faint so was told to go to student services. This requires going down 3 flights of stairs. She had a friend with her. She fainted at the top of the stairs. Her friend ran back to the classroom and told the teacher. I hate to think what could have happened if she had made it onto the stairs.

Am I right in thinking an adult should have stayed with her or that she should have stayed where she was until she felt better. She could have fallen down 3 flights of stairs. I am really angry but not sure of the best way to complain.

TIA

noblegiraffe Thu 05-Oct-17 21:24:59

Ill students get sent to student services. If they look a bit dodgy we send a friend with them in case something happens on the way. Teachers can't abandon their classes to walk someone over. If a child is really poorly, then first aid needs to be called to bring a wheelchair.

Having a teacher with her probably wouldn't have made any difference to falling down the stairs or not.

Dancingdreamer Thu 05-Oct-17 21:43:11

My DD and friends had to sit in a waiting room afterwards for at least 10 mins. Good job too as she also fainted.

mumsneedwine Thu 05-Oct-17 22:06:59

Nurses run the injection sessions. They usually make the girls wait for 5-10 minutes before leaving. If they look pale then they stay longer, usually horizontal.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 05-Oct-17 22:58:38

We get a team of school nurses, all but one administer the vaccinations and the final nurse floats.

If a student feels a bit wobbly immediately afterwards, they're moved to chairs / PE mats at the edge of the room until better.

If a student feels wobbly after leaving the room, they go to the medical room (opposite the room where the vaccinations are given).

If a student feels wobbly after returning to class, then they stay where they are and the class teacher sends a (fit and well) student to fetch a member of the school medical team.

I would have advised your daughter to stay where she was and sit down. If still feeling faint, I would have suggested she lie on the floor with her feet raised.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 05-Oct-17 23:07:50

More of them feel funny after the HPV vaccine than after the DTP & MenACWY. Mostly headaches & dizziness.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 05-Oct-17 23:15:49

OP, please make sure your daughter knows what to do the next time she feels faint:

Fainting advice

This is useful common sense first aid advice for anyone, and can prevent falls and resultant head injuries.

charlmum60 Thu 05-Oct-17 23:30:00

My DD had the first HPV - with the GP;s nurse but I have never ever seen her kick up a fuss to an injection before - the nurse was at the point of advising not to go ahead .. We decided not to have the second HPV .... I'm not against inoculations but I felt very uneasy about HPV - I do wish we had not gone ahead with the first injection ..My opinion not enough research or results on HPV yet...

MarthaArthur Thu 05-Oct-17 23:36:33

Not enough results in what way? These vaccines are rigerously tested in a lab for about ten years before they are allowed into human patients. They dont give random vaccines willy nilly with no track record. I had these jabs about 8 years ago. The first one hurt a lot the 2nd two not as much. As for the fainting it happens to the best of us. The friend was sent with her as a precaution which is lucky as she needed someone with her. Hope shes ok now.

charlmum60 Thu 05-Oct-17 23:55:47

Well my GP's nurse stated to me that they have no results from the girls who have been given the HPV vaccine just clinical trial results ...when they can prove to me that this vaccine has proven results not clinical trials then I will consider .... we each have do what we think best !

MarthaArthur Fri 06-Oct-17 01:27:35

[ www.sciencealert.com/the-hpv-vaccine-has-halved-cervical-cancer-rates-in-the-past-10-years ]

charlmum60 Fri 06-Oct-17 07:52:39

www.nhs.uk/news/medication/hpv-vaccine-results-do-not-apply-to-uk/

PettsWoodParadise Fri 06-Oct-17 08:22:00

That link in 6 years old and more recent studies including ones from Scotland that use the same as in England & Wales have some amazing positive results about the effectiveness. www.netdoctor.co.uk/healthy-living/wellbeing/news/a27970/hpv-vaccine-success/

I’ve had treatment for cervical cancer, it is not pleasant. I don’t want my daughter experiencing what I did so I will be getting her vaccinated, her school have the first jabs early next year.

charlmum60 Fri 06-Oct-17 09:36:28

They only started using Gardasil in 2012 in the UK so they do not have any proven results - my understanding is that it will take 10 years to see the impact (they have swapped and changed from 3 jabs to 2 and then changed the actual vaccine since it was first introduced). Like I said previously we all have to do what we think is best and I personally felt uncomfortable with having the second jab.....

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 06-Oct-17 09:48:45

I had a feeling this might drift into a Gardasil debate. It's an emotive subject.

charlmum60 Fri 06-Oct-17 10:36:19

I guess it is emotive - my daughter has Hypermobility and therefore she is at risk of autoimmune diseases. She has had extreme joint pain since the vaccine but this also coincided with her periods starting too - pain is severe around her periods ...so we are not sure whether its hormonal etc ...she is on additional medication for 3 day's each month around her period ... The vaccine could have had some impact or it may have just been a coincidence but I sleep easier not going ahead with the second jabs.

ASauvignonADay Fri 06-Oct-17 22:31:07

If feeling faint she shouldn’t have been sent down without an adult.

Our school nurses made a point of saying (and asking us to tell the children) that it isn’t normal for them all to fall ill after. We always have an outrageous number of children claiming to be ill after which the nurses say cannot all be genuine! It’s a total wipeout day. Regardless, we still couldn’t just send kids wander around in case they are faking it!

brownfang Sat 07-Oct-17 18:09:28

All this hype about the HPV jab.
The kids get meningitis jab about the same age but nobody fusses about that. If anything, I bet the men. jab is less researched & tested.

Oh,but meningitis is not a SEXUALly transmitted disease. I'm sure that's just a wee coincidence that the men. jab attracts so little attention.

BarbarianMum Sat 07-Oct-17 22:17:18

How could she have fallen down 3 flights of stairs? Are they spiral? If not, surely there are landings?

Ollivander84 Sat 07-Oct-17 22:20:03

Barbarian - I did two flights on one go blush lost my footing and launched. Was a flight then a landing then another flight and I fell down the lot in one go. Landed on the bottom step

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now