Advanced search

Best boarding houses at Marlborough?

(9 Posts)
Quickqu Wed 04-Oct-17 20:10:00

We're off to a tour of Marlborough soon and they've asked for our preferences of houses to look at. For our son.

I haven't a clue.

Can anyone recommend any or say anything about any of them that might help me pick a couple to look at (or avoid)?

Thank you!

ifonly4 Thu 05-Oct-17 10:57:31

I haven't any experience of Marlborough but it might be worth factoring in distance. Your DS might not want to be right in the centre near classrooms as it'll feel like his life is totally the school. On the other hand, how far is the furthest house. My DD is in the furthest house (at a different school), which in her opinion is the best with the best House Matron, however it's about an eight minute walk each way, so with registration being five times a day, there's a lot of going back and forth for breakfast, break at house, dropping off books, lunch, tea/supper, anything socially.

JoJoSM2 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:54:58

Have they sent you any information regarding the different houses?

SpikeStoker Thu 05-Oct-17 12:15:43

When we were looking at houses we looked at the interests of the HM, but given they can change it shouldn't be the only factor. Try and get in as many as possible and meet the matrons. We also looked at proximity to facilities so if DC is musical how easy will it be to get to the music prac rooms, equally so with sports or the gym. One of my DC loves being near the gym, but hates the walk in the dark to debates and drama. Other DC chose proximity to sports. The most important thing is that you like and trust the matrons who will be the Ines you talk to when the inevitable bumps and scrapes occur. At the end of the day you will, maybe, like us just get a "feel" for a house. It's got to be home.

Quickqu Fri 06-Oct-17 05:42:06

We haven’t had any info yet but are going to look at a couple soon. So I picked them based on housemaster’s interests.

Good point re distance/proximity.

Thanks all

Dancingdreamer Sat 07-Oct-17 20:08:06

Another factor at Marlborough us whether you want all boys or a mixed house (girls joining at 16). DId you visit today? PM me if you want more info.

Quickqu Sun 08-Oct-17 09:10:55

Thank you Dancingdreamer will PM you now

Cwandry Fri 13-Oct-17 22:41:53

Summer field is in the town, nice garden, lovely housemaster.
Turner, great house master, very central for sports facilities.
PReshute, rural location, lovely, nice nose master.
cotton, and Littlefield up a hill, nice, nice housemaster
C2 and C1 central good housemasters too.

You know to be honest, I think they are all pretty good. Most of the boys ones have a few girls added in sixth form.

I think housemasters are generally picked for being good alround, caring capable people. I have not met one yet I didn't like. So umm.... Yeah.... Probably not very helpful.

They do have a funny system which is all about the house. It is the housemaster that interviews them. Kinda weird really coz they could move on but just the way they do it.

MarciaBlaine Fri 13-Oct-17 22:51:39

Calling Crumbs1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now