Talk

Advanced search

GCSE 2018 - Holiday - Yes or No

(23 Posts)
charlmum60 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:36:08

DD taking GCSE's in summer 2018....She is at an Independent School and breaks up on 23rd March - 17th April - so one extra weeks holiday compared to state schools - Would you take a week out for a holiday- obviously it will be DD's decision that matter's but she is off for three weeks...I was thinking of perhaps going to Berlin because whilst it would be a holiday she is also studying history.

2014newme Wed 04-Oct-17 13:37:09

No I would go after the exams.

Jinglebells99 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:37:42

Nope, I wouldn't. Plenty of time for a holiday once the exams are over in June.

HSMMaCM Wed 04-Oct-17 13:38:12

They might have revision sessions at school, or she may want to revise at home.

I'd leave it until after her exams.

N0RA Wed 04-Oct-17 13:39:52

You need to think of it as an extra weeks study leave rather than an extra weeks holiday .

How many weeks holiday does she get in the summer ? Why can't you go then ?

LadyinCement Wed 04-Oct-17 13:44:09

We did, with only the two-week break. I doubt whether OP's dd will be studying 100% of those three weeks so a bit of time out for r&r (and history, if it's Berlin! ) will do no harm at all.

We had a cottage break in the Easter before GCSEs (not Whitsun - that'd be too close for comfort!) and ds did more than fine.

charlmum60 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:50:48

We are going away in the Summer too...I just didnt know whether 3 weeks revision would cause burn out to early and also thought a holiday to Berlin would help her with History - which is probably her weakest subject...she's a kinesthetic learner but I do hear your comments.

AuntieStella Wed 04-Oct-17 13:57:23

If you think going to Berlin will benefit her, go during one of the 3 weeks she's off.

It's a really bad idea to take extra time off in the last run-up to GCSEs.

If you want an extra bit if holiday, find out if they essentially break up once the exams are over - you might have a few off-peak weeks to play with then.

Lily2007 Wed 04-Oct-17 14:07:46

I would check with the school there's no revision classes then but otherwise I would go for a week.

hertsandessex Wed 04-Oct-17 14:24:57

Instead of a week how about 2-3 days as it's not far? My daughter did GCSEs this year and at that time she spent 4 days on a music course and I don't think it made any difference to her results although she did work hard at other times.

charlmum60 Wed 04-Oct-17 16:28:13

Probably would only be 3/4 nights (it would be during the Easter school holiday), she does quite allot of what the school call clinics at lunchtime - French/Maths and History - which address any weak area's of study. I will ask whether they will run revision courses - because I would not want her to miss out on these...

catslife Thu 05-Oct-17 09:17:03

You need to bear in mind that some exams e.g. language orals take place soon after the Easter holidays. If she is taking iGCSEs rather than GCSEs these exams start at the beginning of May.
If it's just a short break that is relevant to some of the subjects she is studying that should be OK.

hertsandessex Thu 05-Oct-17 09:36:06

Even if not relevant to subjects she is studying it's fine imo. 1-2 weeks in Florida no but a few days in Germany is a nice break (assuming studying hard the rest of the time.)

Timeywimey8 Thu 05-Oct-17 09:53:22

My ds is going to Berlin on a school trip in school time for GCSE history.

Not sure what the difference is between that and going with parents in the holidays, quite honestly.

As your dd is doing French have you thought about going to France? Otherwise though Berlin sounds great.

user1469682920 Thu 05-Oct-17 09:55:59

We wonder why our 15 year olds are suffering stress, burn out and MH problems - then we expect them to revise solidly from September until May ! Surely it is healthy to have some time out. Three or four days shouldn't be a problem if she wants to go and if so I would make it a complete break and not about history/revision etc Unless of course she would rather be at home

LIZS Thu 05-Oct-17 10:50:26

We did similar before ds A levels, not a full week though. With dd we went away at Feb half term.

user1469682920 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:12:18

I'm thinking feb half term may be a good time for a short break - after the main mocks and before the long slog !!

ScarlettDarling Thu 05-Oct-17 11:14:49

Three or four days out of a three week holiday would be absolutely fine. She'll have loads of time for revision and the break will do her good.

Malbecfan Thu 05-Oct-17 11:27:03

Y11 form tutor here and I think she'd be fine. Make sure she takes other revision tasks with her then can slot some in.

Slightly flippant, but definitely relevant: make sure you have good travel insurance. We were in Germany when the Icelandic volcano erupted. We had gone by car/le Shuttle so were ok for getting home and in any case the dc were KS2/3, but some people who had flown off to Majorca for a week ended up coming straight back to A level exams...

AlexanderHamilton Thu 05-Oct-17 11:29:29

My dd is also doing her GCSE's in 2018. She will probably spend 1 week of the Easter holidays on a ballet residential Easter School.

Bobbybobbins Thu 05-Oct-17 12:11:55

I think it depends in your DD - if you feel this will help her and not stress her out then go for it. Some of our students crave routine and stability in the run up to exams, some need to be taken out of it to motivate them.

charlmum60 Fri 06-Oct-17 23:19:17

We were also stranded in the Ash cloud - my daughter was 8/9 yrs at the time (we were in Florida and it took us an extra 2 weeks to get home) - but I can imagine it would be stressful in the run up to exams...

I'm just going to book 3/4 nights - to Berlin and I really do think it will help her with History - also we will take some past exam papers to do whilst out there ...

charlmum60 Fri 06-Oct-17 23:25:32

Thank you everyone - she is away on a French exchange in a week's time and we have been to France allot - I just dont think a trip to France would help ....however I do think a trip to Berlin would ...she's been to Auschwitz already (with me) and I think she learns by actually experiencing places ...we will chill but take a couple of past papers with us for on the plane...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now