Talk

Advanced search

How important is school reference for University applications?

(4 Posts)
jewel1968 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:27:23

Wondering how much weight is attached to the different elements of a UCAS application. I guess it depends on the university? Thanks

Rose0 Wed 04-Oct-17 16:55:56

As you've guessed, it depends on the university and the subject applied. For example - DD hears from an Oxford physics tutor last year who said he hadn't read a personal statement in his life and didn't intend to, but then for English at UCL they go almost entirely off personal statement to shortlist for interview. Equally for some med schools the personal statement is vital, for others they just give it a cursory check at the end to make sure you're not dangerous!

I imagine they read the references, but consider it with equal weight to other parts of the application like the personal statement, but ultimately for many universities it'll be down the having the correct grades predicted! I've never heard for someone being rejected because of their reference - I think it's unlikely to make or break the application, unless it's truly awful (but a school's hardly going to do that!)

jewel1968 Wed 04-Oct-17 17:45:04

Thanks. These are the mixed messages I am getting too. Some have said each element is treated equally and a holistic approach is taken while others have suggested the only thing of any interest is the grades.

Rose0 Thu 05-Oct-17 13:45:16

Seeing as you have little control over it I wouldn't worry too much. As long as it's good, it won't impact a lot I'd guess.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: