Talk

Advanced search

Nick Gibb just blamed the teacher recruitment crisis on the 'strong economy'

(20 Posts)
noblegiraffe Tue 03-Oct-17 19:13:35

The Schools Minister was talking to the Tory party conference.
He also said it's a good time to go into teaching because you can get promoted more quickly than before.

Has anyone else's blood pressure immediately shot up? angry

twitter.com/tes/status/914884562064420864

admission Tue 03-Oct-17 21:16:55

Two more flippant remarks that just prove that there is a massive disconnect between the people in the DfE and the reality on the ground in the classroom.

Neolara Tue 03-Oct-17 21:19:30

Oh my..... Love the great time to get a promotion comment. In my previous life as a psychologist, that would have been called positive reframing.

CamperVamp Tue 03-Oct-17 21:21:04

The poor man must be so dizzy - all that spin!

BlessYourCottonSocks Tue 03-Oct-17 21:34:15

There is a teacher recruitment crisis because of the crippling workload, the constant pressure from SLT and the horrendous budget cuts. Hey, personally I'm loving having around 28 kids in a History A level class. The huge amounts of A level marking really add to my weekends...

And the completely unachievable targets and lack of textbooks - particularly for our new GCSEs - just add a hint of careless abandon to spice up my life. Apparently about 30% of my Y11s are expected to achieve a 9 at GCSE. Which only 2% nationally will get. Wow. That's clearly going to happen.

Heading for an ulcer at my age probably...

noblegiraffe Tue 03-Oct-17 21:38:51

I just found the full video of his speech about this. m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1594873447202027&id=107509875938399&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FSrYz1HrsEC&_rdr

He finishes his talk about teacher recruitment with 'it all bodes well for the future'. shock

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 03-Oct-17 21:40:50

Has he had a bang to the head?

CarrieBlue Tue 03-Oct-17 22:06:00

Is he on glue?

squishysquirmy Tue 03-Oct-17 22:11:16

If the economy was so strong, then the tax take would be high enough to afford a vast increase in the schools budget wouldn't it? So higher salaries for teachers, better resources, and better working conditions. Which would make the teaching profession attractive to a greater number of people.
So he's talking bollocks.
You get what you pay for, and if they wont put the money needed into public services then the performance of those services will get worse over time.

Draylon Tue 03-Oct-17 22:35:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrockleBocs Tue 03-Oct-17 22:44:15

I would suggest it's (briefly) been a good time to be a Tory MP. Plenty of people got promoted suddenly.

hatgirl Tue 03-Oct-17 22:45:38

grin

so fucking stupid its actually funny

ilovesooty Tue 03-Oct-17 22:46:54

He's a tosser.

elephantoverthehill Tue 03-Oct-17 22:51:38

Ha ha ha ha ha aha ha ah ha. Splat. shock

noblegiraffe Wed 04-Oct-17 08:48:55

If you cut Nick Gibb in half, 'Teaching remains an attractive profession' would run through him like words through a stick of rock. He'll still be bleating it when there are no teachers left.

Every time there's some disastrous report in the news about funding or teaching, the DfE releases some comment about how teacher numbers are higher than ever, or school funding is higher than ever which while technically true, totally miss the point.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 04-Oct-17 16:54:01

Nick Gibb is a fool and a not very effective local MP too. It doesn't matter how much spin you put upon it, there is a recruitment and retention crisis and it isn't surprising. The breaking point has been reached for many teachers, in terms of workload, data, Ofsted, observations, performance management, changes to the curriculum endlessly, over and over again.

Of course you'll get promoted quickly. That's inevitable as the number of teachers reduces and the career of a teacher is five years or less. Then again, it's all very well being a Head before the age of 30, but are you really going to do it for the next 40 years.

GHGN Wed 04-Oct-17 20:44:54

There are more teachers than ever smile

I think I will set that as the line that kids with detention will have to write smile

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 04-Oct-17 20:59:28

You can set 'the economy is strong.' as next week's line.

SingaSong12 Wed 04-Oct-17 21:10:00

shock I have no investment in the profession (not a teacher,student or teacher). Even if I never came on MN I watch the news, maybe Nick should give it a try. Failing that try the Telegraph or the DM, hardly bastions of liberal left wing thinking

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/09/12/half-teaching-posts-filled-unqualified-teachers-national-audit/amp/

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4162354/amp/Where-Britain-s-maths-teachers-gone.html

Timeywimey8 Thu 05-Oct-17 09:58:56

What he is actually saying is that teaching isn't very attractive, so if there are plenty of other jobs around, graduates will choose those first.

if the economy was rubbish, there wouldn't be as many jobs around, so graduates would be more likely to choose teaching (or fall into it because they couldn't get a job elsewhere, which isn't' a great recipe for quality teaching).

Does he actually realise what he's said? Clearly not!

Like many MPs, a bit of a prat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: