Talk

Advanced search

Sports Apptitude places

(9 Posts)
Hersetta427 Fri 29-Sep-17 12:29:28

Our local highly sought after gils school gives 5% of available places to those with a sporting aptitude which my daughter will be attending. Will we need to fill in any forms about what sports they play and at what level or is it all down to how they perform on the day of the test.

She is a very good all rounder (in school A teams for 5 sports) but plays one sport at regional level and is on a district performance development programme for another. Would they want to know (or care) about any of this?

Luckily we live close enough that we are 90% sure we will get a place anyway but you never can tell if it will be a bumper sibling year.

titchy Fri 29-Sep-17 13:02:17

None of that will be relevant as it would be illegal to use that as admissions criteria.

Rudi44 Fri 29-Sep-17 13:17:45

Do you have to apply for a specific sporting criteria place? Or are all admissions considered for a sports place. If applying for a place under the sports criteria then I would imagine they would want to know the level she is playing at. A girls school we applied to (but my daughter didn't end up attending) wanted references from coaches etc. I think girls were expected to be at least at county level in one sport. Even if you are 90% likely to get in I would still apply for a place under the sports criteria.

Hersetta427 Fri 29-Sep-17 14:34:57

Rudi, yes you tick a box on the sif form to say you are applying under the sports criteria and then all those girls go forward to the tests which are held on 14th October. Just wondered if there was a form to fill in on the day of the test to include what sports they played and to what level.

yantantethermetherpimp Fri 29-Sep-17 14:42:45

We have similar admissions to schools here. They are only allowed to do this based on pure aptitude, not achievements to date. Most schools do have their sif online, plus any other admissions documents, so you could double-check there.

prh47bridge Fri 29-Sep-17 22:32:26

As others have said, it must be based on aptitude, not achievements. All that matters is the tests, not anything else your daughter has done.

Hersetta427 Sat 30-Sep-17 18:36:37

Thank you

Hersetta427 Tue 07-Nov-17 16:35:45

Just a follow up - DD took the test (which comprised 8 different activities plus a bleep test) and scored very well (10 percentage points over the lowest score admitted over the last 3 years) so fingers crossed we should be safe and am very pleased for her as she was very nervous on the morning of the test.

GlacindaTheTroll Tue 07-Nov-17 18:35:04

That sounds promising!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: