Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Secondary Education for SpLD child in Surrey

(7 Posts)
peachymumy Fri 22-Sep-17 13:41:55

My year 5 DD attends our local state school and qualifies for 25 hours a week 1:1 to help with her SpLD (Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia and a poor working memory). We are starting to look at the options around us for year 7. Her current school is advising us against our nearest state secondary school (The Howard of Effingham) as they feel it would be too big and not nurturing enough (I have to agree as my DS is there and although it is great for him we can't see our DD coping). I'm worried that any state mainstream will be too much for her and am looking at other options. I've heard good things about Moon Hall College but am wondering if anyone has experience of this school whose child doesn't just have Dyslexia but has similar SpLD's as mine? She is not on the spectrum and has no social difficulties. Would also be grateful to know if there are any other options that I am missing.

BizzyFizzy Fri 22-Sep-17 21:53:09

More House in Farnham.

Canbury School in Kingston (easy journey up the A3).

HairyMaclary Fri 22-Sep-17 21:55:04

Definitely not the Howard, I can't offer an alternative but the Howard is really not good with children with your DDa type of difficulties.

MrsMontgomerySmythe Sat 23-Sep-17 05:00:21

More house in Frensham is boys only.

Bekabeech Sat 23-Sep-17 06:05:04

I would go and talk to the SEN team at the Howard before rejecting it. And children like your daughter can cope in big schools.
But I would definitely look at Moon Hall College and Manor House.

peachymumy Sat 23-Sep-17 20:54:10

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Canbury wasn't on my radar and I was able to visit today as it was their open morning. Lovely, nurturing school but not quite right for my DD as felt not enough girls there (only 3 in one of the years) and it seemed to have a high proportion of spectrum children. Will be looking at all the other suggestions.

AChickenCalledKorma Sun 24-Sep-17 08:25:09

If you are near the Howard, go and look at Therfield with an open mind. It is currently about half the size of the Howard, the new Head is excellent and their pastoral care is also very good. Also plenty of experience of a range of SEN. They are doing daily tours during the school day at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now