Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

School not supporting a child with disabilities

(11 Posts)
Halima89 Tue 19-Sep-17 20:19:43

Hello my name is Halima I have a 13 year old brother who suffers from a genetic condition which has caused him to have physical disabilities e.g leg problems, hand problems, speech difficulties and recently discoloration on his hands. Recently his subject groups got changed meaning he was put into a class with students who have in the past have caused him problems due to his disability by making fun of how he looks and talks. He asked his head of year if he can be put back into his old class but she asked he'd give it ago. He gave it go and said it was terrible and came home in tears he said all the students were staring at him and laughing because of the way he looks. I want into the school to ask if he move back to his old class but the head acted as if my brother didn't discuss his problems with her. I then went in with my brother and spoke the the headteacher who refused to move his class and said the whole class can't be making fun of you and that he should go back to his class as it's the best class for him to learn. After I left my brother in school he started to cry because he refused to go back into a class where everyone treated him like a circus animal. Causing him to be placed into a room on his own after this another teacher came to him and threatened him saying he had two options one to go back to class or another to find a new school. I'm now asking for help because the school are not allowing me to have a meeting with the principle and not moving my brother. If anyone has any ideas on what else I can do please let me know.

Uberfluffs Tue 19-Sep-17 20:41:00

Can you talk to the SENCo? They should have a reason as to why he's been moved, and be able to talk through some kind of protection measures. Does he have an EHCP? He shouldn't be put in such an environment, that's awful for him!

Halima89 Tue 19-Sep-17 21:03:22

The school don't have a SENCO to talk to and he doesn't have a EHCP but his doctors and physio have always sent the school information letting them know how to support him but the school are not taking his disability into consideration. Is there can one else to complain to. Thank you for replying.

Viviennemary Tue 19-Sep-17 21:08:50

You could write to your MP but that would take time. Or your local authority. It's absolutely wrong he should put up with this bullying. You could try reposting this in the special needs board as there will be people with more experience there and they can advise you on what to do next.

Lily2007 Tue 19-Sep-17 21:28:22

The school complaints procedure will be on their website under complaints. Normally you would put a complaint in writing to the Head and if that fails complain to the governing body. LEA normally have no power but sometimes worth trying for special needs.

noblegiraffe Tue 19-Sep-17 23:56:31

Why is the head refusing a meeting? Would they speak to your parents instead?

Yes, you need to follow the school complaints procedure in the first instance.

BarbarianMum Wed 20-Sep-17 08:34:43

If children are mocking your brother that is bullying. Ask the school to provide you with a copy of their anti- bullying policy (they have to have one by law) and see what it says they have to do.

Also, email them asking them to confirm in writing that the have no SENCO.

bunningsbunny Thu 21-Sep-17 00:26:14

Have a meeting with them, take a letter with you stating that they are failing to safeguard your brother for reasons x, y and z. That this means there are consequences a, b and c. This means that they are failing your brother. In order to properly safeguard your brother, they will need to address x, y and z, and that you propose the best way to do this is p,q,r.

Point out that when your db was told he was going to be moved to this class, he predicted that he would suffer the consequences listed above, was told to give it a go which he did, but has not been supported despite suffering the consequences. The previous meeting with the school showed a callous and dismissive attitude to your brother and the negative effects that their actions have had on his life, because you think that they could not be bothered to deal with the issues. and in so doing they are failing in their duty of safeguarding your brother.

You would like to discuss this with them in the meeting to find out exactly what they are going to do to rectify this failure and what actions they are going to put into place to ensure that your brother is properly safeguarded at school.

Take notes - or record the meeting on your phone - you can, as long as it's not a hidden recording - just breezily get your phone out (get a voice recording app so it doesn't take up loads of storage!) and say that you're sure they don't mind if you record the meeting so that you both have an accurate record of the meeting and that you assume that they will be doing the same (and if they say no, ask why, that it's very suspicious behaviour, suggests that they have something to hide and that if you both have your own recordings then what can be the harm in it?)

if there is a senco then get them involved too, and make sure that your letter points out how they are discriminating against his disability which isn't allowed (well I think, not sure of the exact wording of the law!)

Good luck

Rose1981 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:40:23

Hi, I'm so sorry your facing this dilemma, I hope you have made progress since you last post. If you still haven't then there are agencies involved that can help you. Here are some you can look into: SENDIASS, IPSEA, KIDs. Different areas have different support groups see what is available to you and use it. There's plenty of grounds for complaint. Start putting things in writing such as emails or by letter. Every school should haves complaints proceedure online on their website and you should be able to request. Usually if you put in a written complaint the school must get back to you in a certain number of days. If the meeting is being minuted request for actions if the meeting and who they will be carried out by. If you have enough medical reports parentd can request ECHP themselves but it's best to get help from a support agency. The reports need to be within 6 months in date.
Good luck hope you've got the support your brother needs.

Rose1981 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:41:28

By the way there should be a SENCo previous advice was god if they say otherwise ask for in writing

Rose1981 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:43:22

Sorry to add if your having no luck with the school take it to board of governors but try to get s support agency to help you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: