Talk

Advanced search

Where do I find the 11+ thread?

(187 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Sat 02-Sep-17 13:24:03

That's it!
DS2 sitting his Kent test on Thursday and need some advice.

SecondaryQuandary Sat 02-Sep-17 15:22:20

All the best. Not aware there is a thread on here ATM - have you tried the eleven plus forum, Kent section?

Or can post here, I've had two go through it.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 02-Sep-17 20:58:28

Thanks Secondary

DS2 feeling stressed.......worrying about not passing although we've told him many times it doesn't matter, just do your bet etc.

Just wondered if anyone has any pearls of wisdom to offer an anxious 10 yo boy!

I really feel for him and all the other children sitting the test.

SecondaryQuandary Sat 02-Sep-17 23:12:24

My DS was worried too - I did some mindfulness for kids with him, which he found really helpful. Breathing exercises and stuff - centering him in the present.

Also made him his favourite food and packed it for him as break snack.

All the best.

BaconAndAvocado Sun 03-Sep-17 15:23:38

Thank you ! Will give both of those a whirl.

Love2dance Mon 04-Sep-17 10:10:14

Another anxious mum here. First exam on Saturday. It's answering all the QQ in the time allowed that's worrying me...

Wimbles101 Mon 04-Sep-17 10:54:24

I would say to stay realistic - the completion is so fierce now that you can't put all the eggs in that basket.
It's a balalnce: you don't want them too relaxed in the morning of the exam as they need a certain amount of adrenaline to do the exam tbh. I'd say stop doing stuff by early evening the night before and just chat about logistics and remind them to check how many questions there are before they start.
We are in Surrey but sure it's the same in Kent: make them aware that it will be hectic on the day but to just focus on themselves no matter what's goifn on around them.
Good luck!

Wimbles101 Mon 04-Sep-17 10:56:57

Also remind them to move on if they can't do a question.
Not to get bogged down. Last year for SET there were about 70 questions to do in an hour so time is of the essence!

Love2dance Wed 06-Sep-17 11:20:50

Great tips Wimbles101. For some reason (bit of a dreamer? practising at home with me perhaps? confused) DS hasn't quite managed to take on board all the tips about moving on, not getting bogged down etc. (though he does really well in school tests).
I think the mindfulness type of approach is a great idea as I'm sure DS' exam hall will be totally hectic on Saturday. I will probably be more nervous than he!

KathyBeale Wed 06-Sep-17 17:36:29

My son is doing the 11+ next week and has similar trouble with doing the questions in the allotted time. We've come up with a 'B strategy' for him to answer B to any questions he has left with 30 seconds to go!

He finds non-verbal reasoning really tricky and we've just been doing some practice papers. What an absolute load of rubbish that is. I mean, seriously. What does it test exactly? I'd consider myself fairly clever. I'm admittedly more wordy than mathematical but I've got degrees and I've published books, and I'm well-read, blah blah. I'm numerate. And I can only do NVR with the answers in front of me - I can work backwards from the answer, if you see what I mean?

I keep saying to him, he'll do these questions for the 11+ and then he will NEVER have to do them ever again. They serve absolutely no purpose.

He's fairly strong on maths and English so hopefully they'll make up for his non-verbal but we'll see.

Wimbles101 Wed 06-Sep-17 19:03:05

NVR is very pointless - they dropped it a few years ago in Surrey.
Privates also don't do it anymore on the whole - very outdated

ParadiseCity Wed 06-Sep-17 19:05:43

Good luck all 11+ers. I hate being in a grammar area. My youngest has the test this weekend. Will be glad when it's over wine

BaconAndAvocado Wed 06-Sep-17 21:05:36

Good luck all!

DS2 went to bed a bit tearful, poor mite. I gave him shed loads of TLC and reminded him that he is a very clever and exceptionally wonderful boy.

Really peed off that I'm working tomorrow and won't be able to see him until 5. I have arranged to take him out for ice cream though.

I've got this all over again next year with DD..........

Love2dance Thu 07-Sep-17 00:24:50

Oh God F***ing NVR. How I loathe it. When my Ds asked me why it was in the tests, in an admittedly unguarded moment I told him it was to weed out as many kids as possible then said the same thing as KathyBeale. I now realise why others have been doing tutoring for ages but we just didn't want to go down that route (not to mention the expense) save for a few sessions over the summer to cover gaps in his learning. I was horrified to hear the maths tests he will sit are based on year 6 maths. FFS!
Good on you Bacon for boosting your DS. I've been warned that despite being told DS is "clever" etc he should not see it as a poor reflection on him if he is not offered a grammar school place.
It does irritate me that the system makes it "easier" for those with more funds as the independent school exams aren't till January so there is more time to prepare and they are a bit older.
Deep and slow breaths...
Good luck all.

Wimbles101 Thu 07-Sep-17 03:44:27

Unfortunately a lot of privates have exams that are just as tough now - so it's nice t an easy option anymore.
Not sure which area you're in but here Maths was level 6 possibly even level 7.
Feeling all your pain and wishing luck x

Wimbles101 Thu 07-Sep-17 03:44:58

'Not an easy'

KathyBeale Thu 07-Sep-17 12:20:27

Yes, I agree with you all. My son is at the best school in the borough (purely through luck because of us liking this house - not through our judgement as he was v small when we moved!) and in the top group in his class (don't mean to sound boasty) and I keep saying if he doesn't pass then the system's wrong, not him. We've not tutored either but lots in his class have been tutored for two or three hours a week since y3. We're fortunate that I've not found any gaps in his knowledge and he seems to have learned everything he needs to know at school already but I know others won't be so lucky. It's a horrible system and it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable actually.

FoxyinherRoxy Thu 07-Sep-17 12:30:29

We've got CEM tests - absolutely no time, loads of questions and just general hideousness.

I wish I'd never started the whole thing.

Toomanycats99 Thu 07-Sep-17 12:39:44

We have it in about 10 days. I was overconfident based on y3 parents evenings comments and performance in tutors initial assessment. However although we have had tutoring for a year it has become clear that although bright my daughter is finding the run up and exam thing very stressful and so I have backed right off and beginning to wonder if her personality is suited to it. We have done some summer prep for it but not much judging by some things I hear! She is adamant she wants to sit it so we will give it a go but am not feeling confident. However I am also not thinking it's the end of the world if she doesn't pass which I must admit until 12 months ago I did! The reality is that the non grammar options are not bad as all schools in our borough are in reality pretty good. Certainly much better than some other areas.

MrsPatmore Thu 07-Sep-17 12:42:29

It's an awful system and so competitive. Unfortunately being top table isn't always enough in a highly selective area. Tutored children do have an advantage as it's a test of speed and technique rather than pure knowledge in my opinion.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 07-Sep-17 12:43:24

My dd us doing this next week too.

She still gets panicky with a time limit so not hopeful tbh.

She's very good at the nvr which of course is the least important part...

Good luck to everyone's dc

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 07-Sep-17 12:46:36

We are s bucks though not Kent

FoxyinherRoxy Thu 07-Sep-17 12:53:27

You're right MrsP it is indeed a test of speed and technique.

My DD would do well at GS (her siblings are all there) but she won't be able to answer the questions fast enough.

This is the ONLY time they are tested in this way. How is it a measure of intelligence?

BertrandRussell Thu 07-Sep-17 12:58:35

I'm in Kent if I can help?

BertrandRussell Thu 07-Sep-17 12:59:11

Oh, sorry, just seen I'm too late........sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now