Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Re.locating From London to Edinburgh

(11 Posts)
Nad77 Sat 26-Aug-17 14:27:57

ad77 Sat 26-Aug-17 12:26:42
Hello Everyone
I'm new to this and just wondering if anyone can advise me about ESMS Or St Gorges school as my DD will be starting her S2 ?
Im considering cliftonhall and stewart's melville college as well for my DS he will be starting his sixth form next year Any recommendations please .
Many Thanks

BizzyFizzy Sat 26-Aug-17 15:19:19

Do you want English or Scottish exams?

Nad77 Sat 26-Aug-17 16:05:06

I don't mind im ok with both systems. As DD will join S2 any idea which school is more better academically .
Many Thanks

BizzyFizzy Sat 26-Aug-17 16:43:59

They are both good academically and will enable your daughter to reach her potential.

For me, what gives St George's the edge is that it offers a boarding option (even for the occasional night), that it follows the English curriculum, and has more diverse social opportunities.

crazyhorses3 Sat 26-Aug-17 16:50:57

My daughter wen to Mary Erskines Junior School, part of SM at the time, and I was very happy with it. St George's has always had the reputation of being a lot more snobbish. I have a relative who taught at SM too, a very good school.

Nad77 Sat 26-Aug-17 18:26:59

Thank you for the reply just want to know a bit of university. If the children go to private school? Do they have to pay university fee ?

BizzyFizzy Sat 26-Aug-17 18:28:34

If they are resident in Scotland for 3+ years, they won't pay a fee for a Scottish university, but the places are limited.

Nad77 Mon 28-Aug-17 15:58:40

Thank you BizzyFizzy but what do u mean that places are limited?

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 28-Aug-17 16:07:18

Cliftonhall is a lovely school but according to a friend who has children there, not very academic.

Places are limited in Scottish unis for a number of reasons, to do with fees that can be charged to home students vs Scottish students, there is also a lot of competition for places as no-one except the very well off would want to pay for something in England that they could get free in Scotland... if your son is sixth form he wouldn't get a free place until he'd lived here for three years.

Nad77 Mon 28-Aug-17 19:17:14

Thank you LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett hopefully if things go according to the plan we will be moving there in the start of next year .My DD got place in st George's hope it's a good school
My son like cliftonhall school for sixth form ? But im not sure ?

Nad77 Thu 02-Nov-17 20:43:07

Hi Everyone
Any idea of fernhill school in Glasgow ? Or any good surrounding areas to live ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: