Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Marylebone Boys School or UCL Academy

(11 Posts)
springbreeze Mon 03-Jul-17 11:53:34

Hi. I am just starting to think secondaries for my son who is in Yr4. Any up-to-date opinions on these schools? He has Aspergers and is quite academic so would like a school that is not too large/noisy. All comments welcome.

dinkystinky Tue 04-Jul-17 10:23:12

Take a look at Kensington Aldridge Academy also which has an amazing special needs team.

Marylebone Boys School - we liked it but it is still in its temporary site. Should be in its permanent site by the time your son starts.

UCL Academy - amazing school but the catchment area is absolutely tiny.

LeannePerrins Tue 04-Jul-17 13:39:19

Seconding the recommendation for KAA but bear in mind that it is literally next door to Grenfell Tower and currently running out of BDA and Latymer, so best to contact them in the autumn.

springbreeze Tue 04-Jul-17 19:29:14

KAA is too far to travel, sadly.

Good to hear nice things about UCL Academy. I remember they had a dreadful Ofsted report. What has changed?

Cafeconleche Thu 06-Jul-17 18:45:19

UCL worked hard to improve on its original Ofsted report and the most recent one was 'Good' working towards 'Outstanding'. Very small catchment area now due to high demand for places, but really well-worth looking at if you can move close enough (0.5 mile radius I think). It's split into houses so never feels too overwhelming, and pushes those at the top as well as helping those kids who need it. It definitely has a real sense of community and the links to the university are great. Things do seem to have settled down after its initial teething problems.

ctdg Tue 19-Sep-17 18:23:50

About UCL Academy. We live nearby and I know a dozen families whose older children go there (the younger ones are in my child's class in a primary). Very mixed opinions. The most dissatisfied are those whose kids are bright. It's up to parents to make sure they are stretched. The school has excellent facilities, but they are not fully used. A fair number of children are truly disruptive. But the biggest problem seemed to be communication. According to one mum, you have to write several times and even threaten to ring the council before you get a reply (a SEN child was not allowed to go to the loo during a lesson). Lots of other examples (e.g. not notified about a trip although the mother kept asking when the info will be available, etc.). I am in a similar situation and would like to know about Marylebone School for Boys too. If someone knows anything please share the info. Thanks

dinkystinky Wed 20-Sep-17 11:31:53

My friend's heavily dyslexic son has just started at Marylebone and is enjoying it so far - he's getting lots of support. Other boys we know who go there also are happy.

ctdg Wed 20-Sep-17 11:44:13

thanks for the information. Do you happen to know anything about the new site in Paddington? I mean the press release I found says it shoud have opened in Sept this year but I think it didn't happen (?) I can't get through to school on the phone :-(

ctdg Wed 20-Sep-17 12:08:20

About the new site of Marylebone school in Paddigton. Got through to school reception. They were not sure but said maybe the new site will be open in September 2018.

dinkystinky Wed 20-Sep-17 12:38:29

When I went to the open evening they said they may be in their current site in Brondesbury Park for 2 years so on permanent site in Paddington from Sept 2019

ctdg Wed 20-Sep-17 17:55:43

I see... Basically, nobody knows for sure: 2017, 2018, 2019... I'll ask this question at the Open Evening, maybe they will have some update. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now