Talk

Advanced search

Pe kit advice please

(25 Posts)
Sparklepants Sat 01-Jul-17 17:13:46

Sorry first time secondary parents.

Dd1 starts yr 7 in sept.

I can't find any ladies Astro trainers.
Can I buy men's Nike ones that are purple or will the boys be wearing those confused. I've been looking for the last 25 mins and I'm confused.

I also need trainers with a non marking sole. Does that's just mean white sole?

Thanks

GreenTulips Sat 01-Jul-17 17:14:45

You can buy girls astros - have you tried the Nike shop online?

Sparklepants Sat 01-Jul-17 17:19:56

The only ones I saw on the Nike site were ones with big studs.

Migraleve Sat 01-Jul-17 17:27:12

Do they have to be Nike?

GreenTulips Sat 01-Jul-17 17:31:24

Type 'Nike astros'

Sports direct are good as well

But - both DDs had astros and worn them 3/4 times as the boys always had the pitch - waste of money

nocampinghere Sat 01-Jul-17 17:38:39

i got DD some adidas ones in sports direct for about £30. They were perfect, white with dark orange stripes.

nocampinghere Sat 01-Jul-17 17:39:30

most trainers these days are non marking afaik.
if in doubt just buy white rather than black soles

mimbleandlittlemy Sat 01-Jul-17 17:42:45

I always left shoes and trainers to the week before going back - at that age it is quite possible for them to grow a shoe size across the holidays.

BackforGood Sat 01-Jul-17 17:52:26

Agree with mimble. Indeed, it is actually worth finding out what their PE timetable is for the first 1/2 term once they start before buying - they might have football and trampolining the first 1/2 term and not even need trainers until later in the year....... they will have lots of spurts in foot growth, adn you won't need all footwear throughout the year.

C0untDucku1a Sat 01-Jul-17 17:54:47

Also, label everything! You wont believe the drequency with whoch secondary achool children, especially year 7, lose items / whole kits etc.

Sparklepants Sat 01-Jul-17 18:06:13

No they don't have to be Nike but I grew up always having the cheapest and we can afforded to buy Nike so I've decided that's what idea like her to have. School have said any make is fine.

I'll have a look at sports direct as we have one locally.

On the list it says she needs both items for sept.
She's recently gone up to a size 7 so I'm hoping her feet won't get much bigger grin

Will definitely label it all.

mimbleandlittlemy Sat 01-Jul-17 20:42:32

As a size 9 myself she still has room to go up a size grin.

DS went from size 10 to size 13 between year 7 and year 9.

Acopyofacopy Sat 01-Jul-17 20:45:45

Ds' school kit list said he needs everything for September. Don't believe them! Rugby boots were first needed after Christmas, when his feet had grown a size. Expensive lesson learned!

BackforGood Sat 01-Jul-17 21:57:10

Yes, all kit lists say what you need, forgetting to say "over the course of the year", but I can assure they they won't be doing all the PE subjects in the first 1/2 term - there will be a rota.

Heifer Sat 01-Jul-17 23:01:03

Hi, I personally think Adidas do better astros.

Hockey family here so have bought many pairs over the years. You can get some from £20 all the way up to £120 so you can pay as little or as much as you want...

For some reason on Sports Direct web site they don't seem to have any marked as Ladies Astros which is odd as Adidas definitely market them as ladies and mens (depending on colour)... DD had the Mens blue ones in the past and now on the ladies red. All the same trainer really.

Just let DD pick the colour she likes the best. If in doubt get white :-)

Rudi44 Sun 02-Jul-17 10:08:07

The website we have to buy our uniform from recommends dita Astro shoes, dita I am assuming is a hockey brand as the stick we brought is the same make. I wouldn't necessarily assume Nike are the best to get.

NatalieRushman Sun 02-Jul-17 10:11:15

Is this for hockey? Everyone around here goes to grays, They have a selection of lovely astro shoes, plus they stock all other hockey equipment so no need to realise around.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 03-Jul-17 23:09:36

I agree with others if they are for hockey than Nike is not the best brand. Greys, Mercian, Adidas are all better known for hockey. Also a hockey Astro shoe is very different to a football one.

GuestWW Tue 04-Jul-17 09:08:36

Adidas also better for football in my DD opinion. Also foot shape can make a difference - she is narrow and Adidas seem to come up slimmer. She is a keen footballer so we have purchased many over the years - and 'girls' seem to be in short supply but they come is such great colours now I am not sure they are gender specific.

AuntieStella Tue 04-Jul-17 09:24:07

Decathlon have lots of Astro trainers on their website, including known brands, and some are at a heavy discount. They are not described as being for either boy' or girls, and they come in a range of colours.

You would actually be OK starting off with just trainers for both surfaces, and getting the Astro ones in a few weeks once she's got her eye in.

Rudi44 Tue 04-Jul-17 09:24:55

can anyone tell me please if you are playing hockey on astro do you HAVE to wear astro shoes? Our uniform list, lists them as optional but they have an astro pitch and DD is keen to play hockey

iseenodust Tue 04-Jul-17 10:42:11

Check out www.directhockey.co.uk which I know a few mums use.
I bought DS's Gold Rush hockey shoes from www.milletsport.co.uk in a sale and they have a sale on at the moment! They will also deliver to a store if that helps.

Rudi you can wear ordinary trainers on astro. Hockey astro shoes have more ankle support than football astro boots and they have more toe protection.

starfish4 Tue 04-Jul-17 14:27:41

I can't really help with your post, but I'd say to get the nearest you can to what they require and make sure your DD takes it in with them first day - ours had PE the first day and no excuses were accepted for not having PE kit with them even though it was their first day.

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 04-Jul-17 18:33:00

I know some schools specify astros because they want a set of footwear that remains clean. If they where any old trainers there is a greater risk of them being muddy and a build up of mud on AstroTurf damages the surface.

nocampinghere Thu 06-Jul-17 09:21:57

DD plays hockey on astro. She has adidas astro trainers, not sure if they are hockey specific, i don't think so.
Many of the girls who only play hockey in PE (not extra curricular) wear normal trainers. DD says she is grateful for the astros as the other girls slip and slide quite a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now