Talk

Advanced search

What kind of end of year report is given at your secondary?

(19 Posts)
paddlingwhenIshouldbeworking Fri 30-Jun-17 15:02:28

School have just advised they are changing report format. It seems bit useless in abstract but I can't find last year's to compare and it was a bit of a chaotic time - I just registered all was good.

WhatHaveIFound Fri 30-Jun-17 15:22:30

We get half termly grades plus written reports from subject teachers/form teacher/head of year at the end of each term. There's normally a comment from the headmaster too.

troutsprout Fri 30-Jun-17 15:46:05

No end of year report here
3 reports/ data grabs go out a year. Usually around half term time

CrazedZombie Fri 30-Jun-17 16:40:56

3 reports a year with a flightpath, effort grade and achievement grade.

lacebell10 Fri 30-Jun-17 16:58:44

First term list of end of year target, present grade and effort grade. Second term comments plus update graded. Third term updated grades lists with exam grades included.

LandofTute Fri 30-Jun-17 23:14:49

State school. Three reports per year with the exam grades on as they have exams once a term. They also have marks for effort/behaviour etc.
In the summer one there are comments too from subject teachers/form tutor/a senior teacher.

AtSea1979 Fri 30-Jun-17 23:17:25

Just got end of year report. Grades and projected grades plus effort grades and a couple of paragraphs about how he's doing. This is for all 17 subjects.

iseenodust Sat 01-Jul-17 10:22:31

End of year report - for each subject assessment score, the average score in the year, a 1-9 grade (but no explanation of grades attached) and a paragraph (generally on contribution in class & pointer for what needs to be worked on next year eg lost marks for not reading questions properly) .

TeenAndTween Sat 01-Jul-17 12:18:38

Effort grades, attainment grades and targets for end y9.
No text ever until March of y11!

AChickenCalledKorma Sat 01-Jul-17 12:24:29

Two or three reports per year, depending on year group.

We get an "attitude to learning" score in each subject, which has three components and attainment compared with target in each subject. For KS3, attainment is against their flightpath (on track, below target or above target). For KS4 we have minimum expected grade, personal target and actual current grade.

It's quite confusing, to be honest, but I can't fault them on the detail!

LandofTute Sat 01-Jul-17 12:39:29

We get attitude to learning grades too. A - E for behaviour, for homework/organisation and for classwork

OdinsLoveChild Sat 01-Jul-17 12:53:34

A report every half term showing target grades and the expected grade based on current effort levels and a comment from the form tutor telling me where DS is going wrong......but DS is in fact a DD hmm

They also grade effort which means nothing. In fact the entire report means nothing in reality. It says my DC have targets of 9 in every subject (that's another thread hmm ) yet target benchmarks cannot be known at this point so why would they expect my children, along with dozens of others in their mediocre performing state school, to be in the top 3-5% of the country? Its never happened before so why put those as target grades?

DD and DS both work their socks off for 1 particular subject they find really difficult. Loads of extra study for it at home yet they both have really low effort grades for that subject.

Its a bit like asking me how much effort the staff put into teaching my kids, from the comments on the reports I would say very little effort grin

SallyGinnamon Sat 01-Jul-17 18:34:56

DD's school get an A4 sheet with E ( expected) A (above) and B (below).

They all have different predicted grades so it's hard to work out what's really going on.

DS's school has a written report from each teacher along with grades and a hand written summary from the Head Teacher. We know exactly where he stands!

AChickenCalledKorma Sun 02-Jul-17 10:26:08

Odin - totally agree with you about the targets of 9s in every subject.

DD1 is in year 10 and her school is refusing to give a target of grade 9 on the grounds that they have no idea how hard it will really be. She is "allowed" to set herself a grade 9 target (which for her, is probably realistic in certain subjects), but has decided for herself to treat it as a "nice to have" and not feel quite so much under pressure.

(Am secretly hoping this means she will be nice and relaxed and ace those 9's, but don't tell her that!!!)

troutsprout Sun 02-Jul-17 14:54:11

We get 'progress for learning'grades . .. which is essentially attitude / behaviour and effort.The students get a grade for every lesson ( every lesson! those poor teachers!) then they get an average for that subject in their once per term report ( which comes at half term holiday)
They also get target gcse grades (8+ down to 1... no 9s dished out at this school .. 8+ is their limit). Then they get predicted grades based on current working levels.
Then for some ( unknown) reason.. English gives a current 'working at 'grade (9-1)
The reports seem like a rushed mess tbh ( not the schools fault.. you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear).. I suspect 90% of parents haven't got a clue what the grades are supposed to mean.

Mulledwine1 Mon 03-Jul-17 07:41:38

3 reports a year with a flightpath, effort grade and achievement grade

Similar here except that we get flightpath, effort in class and effort for homework.

burntoutmum Mon 03-Jul-17 08:30:29

We get 3 reports a year - usually sent out 2 weeks before end of term

There's a column for achievement , one for attitude and one for home learning. They're then given a letter in each box ( for each subject). Off the top of my head it's something like

O- outstanding
G- good
E- expected
B- below expected

It's based on the child's individual levels, so all children are expected to get expected. So for instance my DS is very strong in Maths, if he gets expected then he is still working at his usual standard. If he gets outstanding then he's working above and beyond his usual standard.

They changed it last year and it took a while to get our heads around - wasn't overly well explained. They used to just give us current NC levels which I found easier to understand as I could see how well he was progressing !

Blanketdog Mon 03-Jul-17 09:37:18

We get effort grades and exam marks. We find so many inconsistencies on their reports - average effort when masses of effort has been put in, behaviour grades that mean they were late for class or didn't submit homework from time to time - when they have an exemplary record on these things. I'm faced with telling the dcs many teachers don't actually pay much attention to their reports and not to take it personally.

paddlingwhenIshouldbeworking Mon 03-Jul-17 11:25:53

Thanks everyone, I think ours is going to be challenging because they are going to use the departments own systems which are not standardised. They all look the same on the surface ie numbers. But they use the numbers differently, so in one subject the top level might be 8 but in other subjects 6 might be the highest. They've always done this on the online data assessments but there was an NC level.

I miss the NC levels. Never understood why they were so hated. Still have two primary children and it seems so much more vague now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: