Talk

Advanced search

What to wear for new intake day in the heat?

(24 Posts)
AlexanderHamilton Mon 19-Jun-17 16:58:57

Ds is due to attend a new intake day tomorrow. He's in year 8. It's a school in an area with the middle school system. He's coming from an independent school so will be pretty much the only child not from one of two feeder middle schools.

They've been told to wear their current school uniform. Both middle schools are blazer & tie as is the high school. Ds's uniform is a suit & tie (they know this from our tour & senco meeting). However at his current school all students have been told not to wear their blazers & ties & to undo their top button until further notice.

I have no idea what the other schools policies are. So do I send ds in full uniform (in this appalling heat) or in a much more sensible trousers & shirt with no tie & risk him standing out/school thinking he's a rule breaker already?

cricketballs Mon 19-Jun-17 19:12:42

The go in your current school uniform is to just stop further anxieties for the day rather than checking they stick to rules!

tissuesosoft Mon 19-Jun-17 19:16:17

From experience (as a teacher), the new intake day is ridiculously busy so I doubt they'll know what his uniform should be. I would send him in his school trousers, tie and shirt so he's comfortable

tissuesosoft Mon 19-Jun-17 19:16:47

He can always take off his tie

Stickerrocks Mon 19-Jun-17 19:16:58

Normally they would attend in current uniform then apply the new school's dress code regarding ties etc in hot weather when they arrive.

bigchris Mon 19-Jun-17 19:21:30

Moleskine diary is £12 So,etching on prime smile

bigchris Mon 19-Jun-17 19:22:01

Oops ignore me grin

titchy Mon 19-Jun-17 19:40:20

School trousers, shirt and tie.

titchy Mon 19-Jun-17 19:41:36

Why would you think no tie given that he's not going to his usual school?

AlexanderHamilton Mon 19-Jun-17 20:03:53

Wellt his current school girls don't even wear ties at all.

The decision has been made for us as he's left his blazer & tie behind at school today as he forgot about tomorrow.

RedSkyAtNight Mon 19-Jun-17 20:47:52

DS's school is usually super strict about wearing a blazer and tie usually but even they have relented and said they are not necessary in this hot weather. So I suspect your DS will be in good company!

AlexanderHamilton Mon 19-Jun-17 20:49:43

We do have an old rather small blazer he could take with him & if all else failed I could dig out his old junior school tie I guess.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 19-Jun-17 20:54:16

I really wouldn't bother with the blazer. Most schools have issued a shirts sleeves order, so trousers and shirt would be fine.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 19-Jun-17 20:57:10

His blazer is heavy wool mix too whereas I think the other schools are a thinner material.

Rudi44 Mon 19-Jun-17 22:08:43

We have a sort of similar concern, DD has a taster day at her new secondary this week but currently at primary doesn't wear uniform and lives in trainers. New school has pretty specific uniform policy and worried she is going to feel like she sticks out like a sore thumb.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 19-Jun-17 22:47:30

Has your dd been told to wear uniform? When ds did his taster day in Year 6 for the school he is currently at it was wear own clothes & the children came from several different primaries.

Rudi44 Tue 20-Jun-17 08:55:42

Hi, no they haven't mentioned what she should wear but they have a junior school attached so a large proportion of the girls will be moving up from their own year 6 so will all be wearing the same thing.

AlexanderHamilton Tue 20-Jun-17 09:08:54

Ds moved up to his current school from an attached junior school & they all wore own clothes. Maybe ring & ask.

Michaelahpurple Tue 20-Jun-17 19:39:27

RUd44 - well, given that you aren't going to go and buy a fake uniform for her, just out her in something cool, simple and tidy - eg a cool cotton top and skirt. There's nothing you can do to make her look the same as the others, so comfy and not scruffy surely has to be the way to go.

Quadrangle Tue 20-Jun-17 19:56:36

Could you borrow a school shirt and grey school skirt from someone?

nocampinghere Tue 20-Jun-17 20:30:21

yes they just say "current school uniform" to stop everyone getting into a flap about what to wear.

bearing in mind the weather forecast, trousers and short sleeve shirt, no tie would be my suggestion. It honestly isn't going to matter, he is in!

re no school uniform, i'd go with a skirt, top, sandals. not party clothes, not jeans. what did she wear for the interview?

Rudi44 Tue 20-Jun-17 21:00:32

Hi thanks for the advice re no school uniform, I will stop hijacking this thread now. When DD went to the school previously it was a lot cooler so she had a smart winter dress and tights. I think we will just go with something summery but as smart as I can dig out without having to buy anything. Thanks again

AlexanderHamilton Tue 20-Jun-17 21:54:25

Just to update. Ds loved his day. they were fairly relaxed about blazers with everyone today.

Rudi44 Tue 20-Jun-17 22:32:25

Aw so glad it went well and also that he didn't have to boil in a blazer. It's has been sweltering today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now