We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me out. Medicine on school trip

(34 Posts)
waggawagga Mon 29-May-17 22:22:16

My ds (13) is on a school trip in Italy.
He has tablets that he sometimes needs for a small unserious afflction.

Normally he just keeps them on him and takes them each day. But because I was worried about him getting into trouble I handed them to the teacher with the times written on the bag when to take. ( We were told all medication had to be handed in)

Just had a text message from him he hasn't been taking them. He hasn't been to the teacher (having too much fun didn't cross his mind) and it seems the teacher hasn't gone to him.

I know he's at an age to take responsibly, but AIBU to expect the teacher to ensure he takes them.
Any advice please as I am not happy.

PurpleDaisies Mon 29-May-17 22:24:20

Why is he telling you and not the teacher? confused

What was agreed before they departed?

waggawagga Mon 29-May-17 22:33:07

I told him to go to the teacher and get the medicine am and pm. Before the trip
He hasn't done it and has just realised that he hasn't had it for 2 days

doyouthinkso Mon 29-May-17 23:21:01

Of course it must be the teacher's fault hmm

Read your original post again, are you seriously trying to blame the teachers here? Or shall I assume you are "not happy" with your teenage son?

I no longer go on school trips for reasons like this. Fewer and fewer teachers are prepared to go on educational visits.

Fucking stupid entitled shit parents who dish out the criticism without a care in the world.

PlaymobilPirate Mon 29-May-17 23:24:49

Nope - not up to the teacher at all! They're non essential by the sound of it (I'm guessing hayfever or something?) It's akin to expecting the teacher to put toothpaste on his brush

BertrandRussell Mon 29-May-17 23:25:09

"Small unserious"......

Presumably he hasn't had any symptoms so didn't need his tablets? Isn't that a good thing?

PurpleDaisies Mon 29-May-17 23:26:31

I don't understand whether he needs the tablets daily or not-you say he "sometimes" needs them. Doesn't that mean he just didn't need to take them?

waggawagga Mon 29-May-17 23:31:06

What the????
Really. .....
This is a reply from a teacher.....
I gave in medication to the teachers because I was told it was the correct thing to do.

My son is on an activity trip and had forgotten to see said teacher

No medication had been issued.

Do teachers not have a duty of care here .....

waggawagga Mon 29-May-17 23:34:37

No he needs to take them twice a day and hasn't.

Thanks for the ripping.
Next time I won't hand them in

PlaymobilPirate Mon 29-May-17 23:35:48

NEEDS to or just sometimes does?

BertrandRussell Mon 29-May-17 23:35:50

Does he need to take it strictly every day? If so, you might have a bit of a point.

If he just "sometimes" needs it, then you haven't got a point.

BertrandRussell Mon 29-May-17 23:36:55

And are there any consequences for not taking it?

doyouthinkso Mon 29-May-17 23:38:18

Does he or does he not have a condition that needs treatment?

He "might" get hay fever so you've provided tablets just in case - if this, how would a teacher have failed in their "duty of care" ?? Bullshit

You hand in tablets so children and their friends dont overdose by accident or contra-indicate. Not so that a teacher can ask every 12 hours if they are suffering from their non serious occasional affliction which might or might not need treating (but obviously doesn't if the teenager doesn't mention it)

waggawagga Mon 29-May-17 23:44:37

Needs to take them... they are prescription medicines .... For his skin, the sun makes his condition flare up.

BertrandRussell Mon 29-May-17 23:46:51

Has it flared up?

lacebell10 Mon 29-May-17 23:46:53

Unless he has a learning difficulty or its life endagering, I'd say the onus was on him to remind the teacher. They've probably got a 101 things to do. He's managed to tell you so why not his teacher?

BritInUS1 Mon 29-May-17 23:50:18

Your child is 13, I think he needs to take responsibility and ensure he finds the teacher to take his tablets when he is required to take them.

I think the teachers have enough to do without chasing this up

lobsterface Mon 29-May-17 23:50:35

He's a kid - if the school take them they need to have some sort of system to ensure their kids are taking their medication. The kids are in the care of their teachers right now.

What strange reactions from everyone. Sorry you're getting a ripping op - I'd think st tea and breakfast all pupils should be getting a "remember your medication" pep talk. What if it was asthma or similar?!

wheresthel1ght Mon 29-May-17 23:52:31

Sorry but I think you are being ridiculous blaming the teacher. Your dd on is old enough to know he needs it and to go and find said teacher.

I take similar aged kids away with guides and I wouldn't expect to have to remind one of our girls.

waggawagga Mon 29-May-17 23:52:37

I agree lace, the onus is on him and I've told him to go in the morning, it's just as well it's not life threatening.

noblegiraffe Mon 29-May-17 23:53:20

If he forgets to take them when he's at home, do you tell him off? Or is it your responsibility?

avamiah Mon 29-May-17 23:54:22

My daughter is 7 and if I tell her to remind a teacher of something then she will do it.
Why not text him back and tell him that he needs to take his medication and go and see the teacher .
Surely there is a emergency contact number for one of the teachers or somebody can contact her about this medication.
It's Italy not Antartica they are in.
Just make a call.

NotBanksy Mon 29-May-17 23:54:52

If he has his mobile with him he can set up twice daily reminders to go off.

waggawagga Mon 29-May-17 23:56:13

Thanks lobster.
Feeling ambushed here.

waggawagga Mon 29-May-17 23:58:42

That's what I've told him to do. Set an alarm, but they are in tents no electricity to charge a phone.
When he's at home he remembers, because he's not doing activities morning to night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now