Talk

Advanced search

Wallington High School for girls

(10 Posts)
Luna9 Mon 29-May-17 07:07:09

Hi

My daughter is applying for this school this year. We are outside the catchment area so she will need to be in the top 100 to get a place. How good does she need to be? What material does she need to study? Do you find out if you are in the top 100 before you have to submit the secondary school application?

Anybody with girls attending this school who can give me more information? Is your daughter happy? Do they have good extra curriculas activities? Sports and arts ? Where do the girls commute from?

lacebell10 Mon 29-May-17 23:54:07

A friends daughter got in (1got in out of 5 who tried in my dd class). As I understand it, although you are told if you passed the exam, you don't know if you have a place till allocation day. We didn't try as my DD fell in love with Riddlesdown and did their selection exam instead.

Luna9 Tue 30-May-17 17:40:22

Thanks Lacebell. This is very useful. It is a shame that the school doesn't give you the score and cutting scores for other years.

lacebell10 Tue 30-May-17 19:50:45

If she likes music and sports Riddlesdown is worth a look. Have a big extra curricula for both. They take 48 on ability not catchment. Year 7 do Latin and either French or Spanish depending on college whereas Wallington do both Spanish and French.

Luna9 Wed 31-May-17 13:34:15

Thank you. Riddlesdown is a bit more difficult to get to from where we are.

FuckingDingDong Sun 04-Jun-17 16:13:39

Riddlesdown and did their selection exam instead.
Riddlesdown has a selection exam? OMG confused

HangingRock Sun 04-Jun-17 16:23:18

I think the exam is 4th on the admissions criteria list after places have been taken by a few local primary schools, with up to 15% of places being offered on ability.

FuckingDingDong Sun 04-Jun-17 16:26:42

Oh, I see. Didn't realise Riddlesdown was that good a school (although its been a while since I was in the area)

HangingRock Sun 04-Jun-17 16:27:19

It looks like just over a third of pupils were high attainers at end of ks2.

Iamastonished Sun 04-Jun-17 17:08:45

"Riddlesdown has a selection exam? OMG"

It used to be a bog standard comprehensive in my day. When did they become selective?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now