Talk

Advanced search

13yr old daughter in wrong school

(8 Posts)
chaosreins Fri 26-May-17 12:50:43

My 13 yr old daughter is currently in an independent co-ed school in SW London. She is having all sorts of problems with her 'friends' and now with staff too. She has a mild learning issue for which she is not being offered support from the school. Am thinking I need to move her to a girls school with really good pastoral care, space and a positive outlook.
Any ideas?

Trying2bgd Fri 26-May-17 12:55:13

Talk to your DD and see what her views are on this idea, take her to visit the 'new school', talk to staff and parents and most importantly to the learning support team. If you are satisfied and your Dd is on board then go for it. Good luck

gandalf456 Fri 26-May-17 12:55:49

What sort of problems? Bitchiness, overly strict teachers? How is her behaviour at school or home? How is your school thought of locally? Does it have a reputation for this? Which other schools are regarded highly? Would good state be a better option?

LIZS Fri 26-May-17 12:56:25

Do you have a school in mind or are you looking for suggestions?

Machu Fri 26-May-17 14:00:29

Look at St James' Girls school in Hammersmith/Olympia. It's a very caring school which has looked after a number of girls I know who have either moved from other schools (bullying), or had a few learning issues and turned out well balanced, confident teenagers who do well. It's not anywhere in the league tables, and there is a lot of nonsense written about both the girls and the boys schools, but I would not hesitate to take a look if I were in your shoes. Another one which has good parental feedback is Surbiton...or Notting Hill and Ealing. Good luck.

Mary21 Fri 26-May-17 18:29:30

St Catherine's in Twickenham?
What sort of environment do you think would suit, academic, easygoing, structured, lots of PE?
Also depends where you are with regard to train lines etc
SWPS often gets suggested.
I know you said girls only but The Hall in Wimbledon, Ewell Castle, and Box hill have a wider ability range than many SW London schools if that is required. Box hill does have a minibus route to Kingston/Surbiton

chaosreins Tue 06-Jun-17 10:11:01

Thanks so much for all your helpful suggestions. Am still pondering what is the best way ahead..

cakeisalwaystheanswer Tue 06-Jun-17 10:57:21

I think you need to try and clarify to yourself exactly what the problem is, your post is a bit of a muddle as it seems to me that the school being co-ed isn't a problem, and it doesn't really sound like the lack of learning support is either.

The friendship issues seem to be the real problem, lots of DCs have problems at 13, mostly things settle down and changing schools isn't an option for everyone. But there is a lot of movement in the SW London Indys at this time, a kind of inter school musical chairs. If you believe that the friendship issues at the current school are unique to there and she will be happier at the other school move her, a new start can help and the ability to move schools at will is part of what you are paying for. But remember that there will probably be a DC at the new school having similar problems to your DD also looking to move. Only you and your DD can decide what's best for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now