Talk

Advanced search

Missed exam

(15 Posts)
janiedee Wed 24-May-17 20:43:31

My daughter is devastated that she has missed her AS exam today, she had misread her timetable and is all prepped for tomorrow! This is one that counts as it's under the old system. She is heartbroken, it was her last exam out of two weeks of exams. Is there anything she can do or is that it?

OlennasWimple Wed 24-May-17 20:44:43

As far as I'm aware that's it, sorry. But can you contact her school now and get their advice?

SandyDenny Wed 24-May-17 20:46:17

I can't see anyway that she can take it now, did the school/college try and find her when she didn't turn up?

MollyHuaCha Wed 24-May-17 20:46:38

What a shame. Poor girl flowers

noblegiraffe Wed 24-May-17 20:46:44

If it's one that counts then there will be a resit opportunity next year that she will have to take it in.

catslife Wed 24-May-17 20:55:27

I thought schools or colleges usually phoned up absent students to try to make sure that they came in to take their exams. They can start late if they arrive at the exam room late (within certain time limits - up to an hour, I think). If they were in another lesson, I would expect someone to come and fetch them.
There is a procedure that can be followed for awarding marks if candidates are absent, but you need to try to find out more about whether this would be applicable to your dds situation or not.
As this exam is under the old system, she will be able to carry the result for the exam(s) she has taken forward and just retake this one exam next year.

janiedee Wed 24-May-17 20:58:41

No one tried to contact her or us, she only found out when the tutor sent a round robin text to say hope it went ok, if only he'd sent one before to say good luck!

Isadora2007 Wed 24-May-17 20:59:38

I can't believe you didn't also check her exam dates and times. shock

janiedee Wed 24-May-17 21:00:22

We will contact college tomorrow, she emailed her tutor as soon as she realised but no answer.

mnistooaddictive Wed 24-May-17 21:03:01

If it's as, she can resist next year. One of my students did it last year for another subject, was allowed to continue to A2 and sat it as a resit this year. Just had to put up with a whole year of teasingly!

janiedee Wed 24-May-17 21:04:34

Cheers for that Isadora, as if I don't feel bad enough already. She is super organised, you'd get that if you knew her! It certainly won't happen again. It must have been the original date tomorrow as thats what's on our calendar, it's correct on the letter (today) of course. She's is not the only student to have made the mistake.

SandyDenny Wed 24-May-17 21:25:08

If she's not the only one I'd be taking a strong line, you say the tutor texted her so I'm going to assume it must be a college rather than a school but even so they should be taking a register and trying to contact students within an hour of the start.

Surely a super organised student not turning up would have rung an alarm bell for them

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Wed 24-May-17 21:31:04

Original date? The dates of public exams are set a long time in advance and once they're published, it's fixed. I guess the school could have made a mistake though, in communicating the timetable to you? All the dates and times are available online though, so worth double-checking.

Isadora2007 Wed 24-May-17 21:31:39

Aren't they set externally?
I'm maybe way out as am I Scotland where the exams are set by the SQA so I checked on their website for DDs exams even though the school send out a personalised timetable.

I would still check even an organised child's exam dates and times. As I would like someone to check important things for me...

LadyPenelope68 Sat 27-May-17 17:55:08

The exam dates are set externally, they won't have changed. There is absolutely nothing she can do about it this year, she will just have to take next year as if she was doing it as a re-sit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now