Talk

Advanced search

Toilets locked denied access

(6 Posts)
user1495532738 Tue 23-May-17 10:55:23

My daughter is in year 8 13.

I know ideally pupils are not supposed to go to the toilet during class. However yesterday my daughter was really desperate at the start of a double lesson and the teacher teacher made her wait an hour and 50 mins. Dd says she was bursting at the end of the day but the toilets were locked so she had to wait until she got home. She was ready to burst when she came through the door.

Would it be unreasonable to contact the school?

EmilyBiscuit Tue 23-May-17 11:03:58

Waiting during the lesson is very common in secondaries but the toilets should be available after school for a set time (15 mins maybe). If you complain, make it clear that this is the problem. If you complain about not being allowed to go during the lesson this will dilute your message.

user1495532738 Tue 23-May-17 11:07:46

I agree emily, still think it was a bit mean to make her wait a whole double lesson, especially girls just my opinion

user1495532738 Tue 23-May-17 11:11:23

Dd did say that the loos are locked during lesson time and some teachers do let them go to reception and get the key. This teacher though never lets anyone go

EmilyBiscuit Tue 23-May-17 11:13:29

It does seem mean. And I used to think it was awful - until I started working in a school. Medical issues aside, the vast majority of kids should be able to organise using the toilet. If you were going on a two hour car journey you would (presumably) expect your child to go to the toilet before you set off.

pointythings Wed 24-May-17 08:34:45

I feel toilets should always be available, end of. When I was a team I had awful unpredictable periods with full on sudden flooding. If I had not been allowed to deal.with that as and when, I would have missed school on a monthly basis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now