Talk

Advanced search

Grammars schools accesible from Herne Hill, North Dulwich,

(25 Posts)
user1495443009 Mon 22-May-17 09:58:49

Is there any coed or girls grammar school within easy commute from North Dulwich, Herne Hill, East Dulwich or West Dulwich. Also, what are the chances of getting a place from this area.

temporaryname99 Mon 22-May-17 10:02:57

Sydenham Girls is the nearest I think - not too far.

You must already have done some research and know that there are some great non-selective schools in your area - The Charter School and its new sister school? the Elm Green school? Dunraven?

user1495443009 Mon 22-May-17 10:13:26

Not sure we are in the catchment for any of the local comprenhensives so want to have another option if possible

Micah Mon 22-May-17 10:14:49

Sydenham girls isn't a grammar, it's a private school.

There are no grammars in Lewisham Borough, you need to look at bromley or bexley, or even out to kent.

janinlondon Mon 22-May-17 10:18:11

Newstead Wood

user1495443009 Mon 22-May-17 10:36:13

Thanks

Sydenham girls is a state school. Sydenham High is the private school

I will look at Newstead Wood.

janinlondon Mon 22-May-17 11:19:36

Direct train to Orpington from Herne Hill or West Dulwich. Lots of local girls on it every day.

Micah Mon 22-May-17 11:52:42

Sorry yes always get that wrong. Neither are grammar schools anyway.

A few lewisham schools do music scholarships if she's musical? Kingsdale do music and sport. Not money scholarships, but admission.

State schools in south london don't have "catchments" as such, they're all home to school distance. Some have fairly wide intakes. They're all well thought of schools, i'd be suprised if there wasn't a good secondary nearby you have a reasonable chance of getting in.

lilybookins Mon 22-May-17 15:15:17

You need to be within a nine mile radius for Newstead Wood. I know that a friend who lives Herne Hill was just out of that radius so do check before you go down that road. Accessible to you are the Surrey Grammars - these are Nonsuch High School for Girls and Wallington High School for girls. There's also a selective stream at Greenshaw, which is a comprehensive. I think there are trains from Herne Hill going to these areas, there are no radiuses/catchment for these schools as far as I can remember (though if you are 'in borough' you will have priority) The test for all three schools is in September - it's just one test for all three schools called the Selective Eligibility Test (SET) - you need to pass the SET before being invited to take stage two which is towards the end of October. You have to apply to take the SET - from what I remember I had to hand in a form for my daughter to sit in by end of July.

user1495443009 Mon 22-May-17 15:28:22

Thank you

That's very useful. I will look at the Surrey Grammars. Also, if we are in the catchment for Newstead,

user1495443009 Tue 23-May-17 13:12:09

Is any of the Bexley Grammars or Tonbridge grammars accesible from Herne Hill/ Dulwich ? I am looking at Journey planner to the Surrey ones and it doesn't look easy. The only option seem to be Newstead Wood but I have read lots of mixed opinions about the school.

janinlondon Tue 23-May-17 13:29:51

I dont think those schools are accessible, sorry OP. Newstead is oversubscribed - I think 1300 applicants for 160 places last year. So you would need some back up plan even if you did decide it was suitable.

SquirmOfEels Tue 23-May-17 13:36:39

It might be worth sitting the Wandsworth test to see if you can get a selective place at Grwveney (I think you can get by train from HH to Tooting)

user1495443009 Tue 23-May-17 13:56:15

Thank you. We will still apply the local comprenhensives but want to have another option. I know it is very competitive but she can always try. Will look at the Wandsworth test.

user1495443009 Tue 23-May-17 13:58:32

We may also consider private but again Alleyns and Jags are very competitive.

Summersunandflowers Tue 23-May-17 14:18:42

Sydenham high is lovely and not quite as competitive, if you're considering private.

lilybookins Tue 23-May-17 15:05:46

You can get to Wallington pretty easily from Honor Oak/Brockley stations - it's about 35 mins, one change. Then they put on buses from Wallington station to Wallington High School for Girls. Yes, def look at Kent grammars - it's still a long way but trains do go direct to Dartford (for Dartford Grammar) from Nunhead station, (same trainline as Peckham Rye)

lilybookins Tue 23-May-17 15:09:31

Although in catchment for Newstead etc I had also not heard great things and that put me off - though if you look on the 11+ forum there are many parents of happy girls at Newstead on there. It's a pretty mad forum in many ways but you will find loads of helpful info on there esp for Newstead and other Kent grammars..

user1495443009 Tue 23-May-17 18:50:20

Thanks

I am looking at directions to Wallington and it now seems like an option; not sure why it wasn't showing good journeys before; I am going a bit crazy with journey planner. Not sure how often do the trains go to Dartford from Nunhead/Peckham Rye for the Dartford Grammar.

I only want her to sit one grammar test otherwise it becomes too much so looking at the most reliable an easy journey and whether there is any chances to get a place from Dulwich. I need to decide between the Surrey one, newstead, Kent, or Wandsworth selective test for Graveney. Any advice from parents with children traveling to any of these schools from Dulwich will be great.

I will check the open days for Sydenham High as I also want her to sit the exam for one or two private schools; I haven't considered it before as the lack of good facilities put me off a bit; but should check it out first.

PettsWoodParadise Tue 23-May-17 20:45:08

There are a number of girls in DD's class at NW who get the train from Dulwich and it seems a pretty easy journey and they get to make friends on the train. It is a ten to fifteen minute walk from the station to the school which doesn't faze most of the girls. DD sat three lots of grammar tests (Kent, NW and Bexley) plus one indie and that was fine for her, but you know your daughter best and what would suit her. Although the tests are fairly different - the indie one in particular they also have a lot in common.

AveEldon Tue 23-May-17 20:58:00

Why would sitting more than one grammar be too much? - most are multiple choice only and relatively short vs the indie exams

user1475317873 Tue 23-May-17 22:13:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1495443009 Wed 24-May-17 07:02:47

I haven't got much experience with the tests so I thought sitting 2 independent and 3 to 4 grammars may be a lot but perhaps this is the what everybody does. I do however want to apply for the ones that are easier to commute to and there is a possibility to get a place from Dulwich. I am considering now Wallington, Newstead and Dartford grammars. I need to go and see them with my daughter. Wallington has an open day in June but not Newstead; will check Dartford.

Does anybody know what the school hours are on the above grammars.

Thanks for the advice.

PettsWoodParadise Wed 24-May-17 07:34:13

www.newsteadwood.bromley.sch.uk/Parents/Times-of-the-School-Day/ - they can choose to arrive earlier and there are breakfast options too.

user1495443009 Wed 24-May-17 22:26:36

Thank you for the link PettsWood

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now