Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best Schools near Warminster

(7 Posts)
happinessmoving Sun 21-May-17 01:08:22

What schools are good near Warminster and surrounding areas and can you get a school bus? Secondary and primary?

chopchopchop Wed 24-May-17 21:41:50

State or private?

happinessmoving Wed 24-May-17 21:52:56

State.

chopchopchop Thu 25-May-17 09:00:01

I don't know anything about primary I'm afraid, but the best local secondary is the Catholic St Augustines in Trowbridge, which does take some non-Catholic pupils I believe.

happinessmoving Thu 25-May-17 11:54:27

Thanks, I worry about transportation up there

fussychica Thu 25-May-17 16:08:35

Kingdown is quite well thought of, it's right in the middle of Warminster. It's rated good, nothing outstanding for secondary locally. Outstanding primary at both Crockerton and Sutton Veny. No idea about transport but you would need to live in the southern part of the town to get in catchment. Look at www.locrating.com

errorofjudgement Thu 25-May-17 17:27:55

When you say you worry about transportation up there, do you mean in Wiltshire? In Trowbridge? In Warminster?
Wiltshire is a rural county, if you are in a village there will usually be some sort of transport to take your child to school. If the journey is over a certain distance, or it cannot be walked safely, e.g. No footpaths from the village to the school, then transport is free up to age 16.
At 6th form, the local bus companies and the LA provide a student pass but this has to be paid for unless you qualify for free transport on the basis of family income.

Warminster itself has a train station, and bus links to other parts of the county. I imagine many pupils living in the town walk to school.

St Augustines is very oversubscribed, if you are a catholic family living in Warminster then you would be in the catchment, but may not be offered a place moving into the area as the school is full. But you would expect to get a place in Y7 or Y12 if you've applied in the normal admissions round.
Generally non-Catholics have been through the feeder catholic primaries, and are usually practising Christians.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now