Talk

Advanced search

Moving abroad - attendance rules

(7 Posts)
Aigle Thu 18-May-17 13:59:37

What are the attendance requirements by the school / local authority prior to moving abroad? Does the child need to attend right up until the departure date or is there some flexibility?

PatriciaHolm Thu 18-May-17 14:51:53

I'm not entirely sure what you mean - you can withdraw your child from the school roll whenever you like. You could withdraw them several weeks before leaving if you wished.

If you continued to attend, then surely normal sanctions such as getting the EWO officer involved etc wouldn't be relevant if you were leaving to live abroad imminently!

OlennasWimple Thu 18-May-17 14:55:22

If it helps, our DC have attended school right up until the last possible day before moving overseas, as the routine has been good for them. Moving over a school holiday is also helpful, as schools naturally wind down a bit in the run up to the break

HashtagMe Fri 19-May-17 21:07:10

You need to ask the school.

We moved in the middle of January but my children finished school (secondary) at the end of the autumn term and were given authorised absence marks for the week they missed at the beginning of the spring term.

The headteacher agreed that it was more important for them to spend time with family and didn't need to be in school.

underneaththeash Sat 20-May-17 11:59:39

We took ours out a couple for weeks before a move to a different house. I just said that we were home educating them for this time, we then went on holiday.

I wouldn't even ask, especially if you're moving to a different country. Just put on th form that you're home educating them before a move abroad.

Aigle Sun 21-May-17 12:06:13

Thanks for the replies. Is it that easy to just put on the form that they are being 'home educated'? I thought the LA has to some checks and there has to be an agreement signed?

PatriciaHolm Sun 21-May-17 12:24:42

No, in England you can just withdraw your child and state that they are being educated at home. The LA has no right to insist on anything from you to prove that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now