Talk

Advanced search

Good schools in and around Southampton

(7 Posts)
onthemove2017 Tue 16-May-17 14:26:35

Hi, I am new to mumsnet and I am already finding this site helpful. We are relocating to Southampton from South Africa. My sons are 13 and 10 years old. We are looking at government schools that have a good learning support programme (dyslexia). I would appreciate any advice and suggestions. Thanks.

TeenAndTween Tue 16-May-17 14:52:50

Depending what you can afford, you could consider:

Chandlers Ford (Thornden catchment)
Romsey (The Romsey School or Mountbatten)
Winchester (Kings, Westgate or Henry Beaufort)

which are all good schools but I can't comment on their specific learning support.

Some areas of Southampton have better schools than others.

The other issue you have is finding a school with a place in the right year group. When does your 10yo turn 11. If before end Aug then they will also be in secondary school from Sept but will have missed general application round. If after Aug then if you move before end Oct they can apply for secondary along with peer group.

Stickerrocks Tue 16-May-17 21:03:41

Hounsdown has just received an outstanding OFSTED. It's on the New Forest side of Southampton, taking children from Totton, Ashurst, Lyndhurst up to the M27. Bartley is one of the feeder jumior schools for the 10 year old & also has a good reputation, along with Foxhills.

TalkinPeece Wed 17-May-17 08:02:32

Basically any of the schools outside Southampton should be OK.
The bigger the better as then they will have more funds for support like dyslexia.
Your best bet is to talk to the team at Hampshire County Council as they know which schools reource which areas.

MrsCK Thu 18-May-17 20:08:59

Swanmore College is great and has loads of sen support.

onthemove2017 Thu 18-May-17 20:46:44

I really appreciate the suggestions. I will start researching the schools mentioned. Thanks so much!

madnskint Fri 19-May-17 13:37:49

Wildern school- Hedge End

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now