Talk

Advanced search

Any GCSE markers about? Daughter in a flap!

(13 Posts)
AChickenCalledKorma Mon 15-May-17 22:44:20

DD1 did her first RS GCSE paper today. She has been monosyllabic since she got home and has just had a total meltdown, because she didn't notice until after she'd written all her answers that she had to leave a two line gap between them. She's in year 10, sitting it a year early, and hadn't ever seen a proper GCSE answer booklet before.

Yes I know that she should have read the instructions properly.

The question is, is she right to be panicking? She normally sets things out very neatly, and she says she numbered her answers clearly. But she's in a total flap that the computer won't read it properly and thinks she's totally screwed up. I don't know what to say!

elephantoverthehill Mon 15-May-17 22:50:10

It will be fine. She is definitely not the first and won't be the last to do this. Good lesson to learn though on a paper like RS. Don't flame me.

elephantoverthehill Mon 15-May-17 22:52:28

And why has she not seen a 'proper GCSE paper/booklet' before? That would be an issue I would take up with the school.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 15-May-17 22:55:03

I'm trying really hard not to blame the school, but it's not the first thing they have forgotten to brief this year group about. And they had to sit in purdah for three hours while the year 11s sat the same paper, because there isn't space in the hall for them all. It hasn't been the best introduction to public exams.

Thank you for being reassuring, though!

Iamastonished Mon 15-May-17 22:59:59

"She's in year 10, sitting it a year early, and hadn't ever seen a proper GCSE answer booklet before."

Surely she will have seen one when she sat her mock?

It's bad planning that they can't all take the exams at the same time. What happens with subjects that everyone takes like maths and English?

elephantoverthehill Mon 15-May-17 23:09:41

Also why does she think a computer will read it? Unless it is multiple choice all exam papers are read and marked and cross marked by real human beings. The double line thing may be for papers that could be used as sample answers that will need to be guillotined and presented as exemplars of each grade to the marking panel, or to ensure that the marker is aware that a new answer to a question is starting. It will be ok.

GiraffesAndButterflies Mon 15-May-17 23:15:08

It'll be "leave two lines because it makes things clearer/easier for markers" not "leave two lines otherwise we'll ignore everything you write". She'll be fine.

jeanne16 Tue 16-May-17 06:36:56

It will be marked. Even if a candidate writes in blue pen rather than black as specified, it will still be marked. Just means it may not scan well and will have to be marked separately. Tell her to stop worrying.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Tue 16-May-17 06:49:35

All papers are scanned but this may be identified as 'out of clip' and therefore passed to a marker directly. We make absolutely every effort to read every bit of a response.

The two lines bit seems odd - in a proper booklet?

FellOutOfBed2wice Tue 16-May-17 06:58:16

Another one saying it will be fine. Jesus, some of the papers I've seen including some that look like they were written in hieroglyphics!

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 16-May-17 07:06:10

Thank you all, lovely people! I did point out to her that an actual human being would be reading her answers at some point, and they would be capable of spotting the ends of answers. But she will be relieved to hear from some people that know more than mummy does.

I've no idea why she didn't see the answer booklet for her mock. But I intend to ask!

This is the first time that two year groups have sat the same exam. The decided to enter year 10 a year early so they could do the old syllabus and free up a bit of timetable next year. But it seems some of the practical implications weren't thought​ through.

jr2116 Fri 19-May-17 17:40:02

My DS was worrying about this too. The invigilator said with 5 minutes to go that 'you should be leaving 2 lines between your answers'

For my DS's mock they just did it on lined paper but in the real exam they did it in the OCR-headed lined paper booklet.

MollyHuaCha Fri 19-May-17 17:55:15

I used to be a marker. I would not have reduced her marks because of this smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now