Talk

Advanced search

Combined Science -Chemistry help!

(9 Posts)
RosieLig Mon 15-May-17 20:13:49

My DD is sitting Combined Science GCSE AQA next year. She has a rubbish Chemistry teacher (a new one is starting this week) and is pretty clueless. She has end of year exams in a few weeks and I'm worried it's going to be a disaster!

I got the CGP Combined Science study guide to support her but it's so dense I found it demoralising! Any other resource recommendations?

Thanks.

RTKangaMummy Mon 15-May-17 20:17:31

I will ask DH for you smile

He is retired now but might have some ideas for you smile

Hopefully some other Chemistry teachers will be here to help you soon

Laniakea Mon 15-May-17 20:25:29

dd (about to take her GCSEs) had trouble with chemistry in year 9 & 10, we used tassomai which is fairy expensive but definitely worth it. She went up from a predicted B to an A* over the course of y11. You need to start it early enough to get the full benefit, we did the triple science course (they do combined too) starting from the summer holidays at the end of y10.

itshappenedagain Mon 15-May-17 20:34:18

I would see if you can get in gcse pod ( her school may already have a subscription).
Look at the specification and get her to ask what will be on her mock exam. They won't have covered all of the content yet.
I would also ask to speak the the head of science and find out where her gaps are first.

titchy Mon 15-May-17 20:34:24

MyGCSEscience got mine through Chemistry. Lack of chem teachers here too....

sheepskinshrug Tue 16-May-17 07:39:42

I feel your pain. Dd has a pretty ineffective science teacher. We got the CGP books and agree they are quite dense. We bought the only textbook available to go with the new course (it's not aqa though) but the textbook was pretty awful, waffly and confusing and I headed back to CGP. I downloaded the course speculation and that helps you pick and chose internet resources - BBC bitesize was pretty good.

RosieLig Tue 16-May-17 08:32:02

Thanks all!

I think we'll try the Tassomai and the MyGCSESCience looks good too. She's sitting at about a 3 at the moment, other sciences poor too.

I told her about the time commitment to Tassomai and the guaranteed A and she seemed up for it. It's pretty hefty costwise but at least it covers 3 of her subjects! Hopefully we've started in time...

RedHelenB Tue 16-May-17 10:21:35

Try papa science on YouTube. My daughter loved him and it's free.

StarDanced Tue 16-May-17 10:28:58

Science teacher here- has she got access to the aqa 9-1 textbook either as a hard copy or online access? This has all the spec points explained and has exam style questions that she can have a go at. It is dense but you could look at just doing small chunks then some questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now