Talk

Advanced search

Graveney or Charter for science A levels?

(13 Posts)
TestTubeTeen Mon 15-May-17 17:22:19

Anyone any experience of these two sixth forms for Biology, Chemistry, Physics and / or Maths?

I can see that Graveney uses OCR for the sciences and AQA for Maths, not sure about Charter? Is it the same and would the exam board be a consideration?

Charter is much smaller and retains 60% of their GCSE pupils, so newcomers are in a minority, is this an issue? Or did your Yr 12 arrive and settle in, making friends easily?

Graveney is huge: is this an issue?

Equally impressed with both at Open Day and have another S London option too (subject to grades) .

All experiences and observations very welcome, thank you!

TestTubeTeen Mon 15-May-17 22:17:30

No one?

TestTubeTeen Tue 16-May-17 12:55:24

I thought we had loads of Graveney parents here!

Noitsnotteatimeyet Tue 16-May-17 21:41:41

Graveney sixth form is much too big imo and pastoral care is pretty poor (a result of the sheer numbers of bums on seats rather than the staff not being willing to help). There's a very big influx of new pupils into Y12 and as far as I can see it's quite hard for them to integrate. Sets for the more popular A-levels are huge (up to 34 in English) and there's not actually enough space for everyone in the sixth form study centre or library so local pupils are encouraged to go home in free periods to free up space

SoulAccount Wed 17-May-17 07:47:06

That's interesting. Watching because Graveney is on our list. Do they not manage pastoral care via the tutor groups?
How are their results?

user1484040234 Wed 17-May-17 09:19:32

I don't know if you've looked at Haberdasher's, they've got a good set of science and maths teachers teaching "A" level. (Maths was poor, but they changed several staff and bought in a new department head a year ago, it's been a massive improvement).They retain 50-60% for A level and there are about 80 new pupils joining for year 12. I've heard Charter and Kingsdale both cull after year 12. It's quite important to look whether there is a large drop in numbers between year 12 and 13. I know one person whose child went to Graveney, they were happy with it, but this was about 5 years ago. It's odd if a school has 34 in a set that they don't split it into 2, 17 is OK for an A level group, sometimes A level classes can be tiny with a handful of pupils!

TestTubeTeen Wed 17-May-17 10:55:47

Thanks NoItsNot - that's interesting feedback. Do you have a Yr 12/13 there? I did wonder how they manage such huge numbers. I thought at open day they said science sets were about 17?

User148 - no we didn't look that far east from where we live, but perhaps should have done as I think there is a bus or trains. Sixth form applications all in now.

Charter results in science are very impressive, but they demand straight As to do the course, so should be, I suppose. Backed up by 'culling', maybe.

Any Charter parents?

Dunraven v much on our list, too, they are very strong in humanities, arts, maths, politics, etc. Any views on science?

thirdDozen Wed 17-May-17 11:05:50

I haven't heard of Graveney but Charterhouse is excellent. I was there for a conference last year and was very impressed.

I'd be looking way beyond examining boards. find out about the faculty staff and look at previous results.

I'd imagine you'll need a back-up as their admissions will be tough.

thirdDozen Wed 17-May-17 11:06:47

Ignore me ... not even talking about the right school!

TestTubeTeen Wed 17-May-17 17:11:48

LOL!

behindthescenes Wed 17-May-17 19:19:48

I don't know Graveney at all so can't compare, but have current experience of Charter. I think it seems friendly and supportive and seems to deal well with new starters. I actually recently asked a handful of year 13s how they'd found joining for sixth form and they all agreed it was fine and they'd been made welcome. I guess Graveney may have the edge when it comes to resources, being much bigger though.

Pogglebon76 Thu 18-May-17 07:06:23

Have you looked at St Thomas the Apostle. Early days for their 6th form but very impressive at GCSE and great teaching across the board

TestTubeTeen Thu 18-May-17 08:10:04

Thanks, BehindTheScenes!

Poggle: that's good to know! Dc has applied to 3 sixth forms and been offered places in all 3 subject to their standard grade requirements, and I think all application deadlines are past now.

Dc is dithering between favourites, and which to pick if the grades fall into place. To some extent we are perhaps spoilt for choice for good sixth forms in S London!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now