Talk

Advanced search

Secondary school good for swimming with great pastoral care

(10 Posts)
1busybee Mon 15-May-17 09:38:58

Hi. I put this post in education but have duplicated here as thought it might get more traffic. I have a child with a really keen interest in sport, swimming in particular and he seems pretty good. I find it hard to fit training in around everything else so have started to consider an independent where he can do his training around school. I would hope to send his sibling there too who isn't as sporty. I would like somewhere that is pastoral but gets good grades. Historically I know Millfield has always been a winner but wondered if anyone could suggest alternatives? Thanks

Rudi44 Mon 15-May-17 11:15:42

Yes Millfield would be the one I guess. My daughter is a swimmer too and will be going into Yr 7 in Sept. She swims with a club and I guess your DS does too? We are going for a good all round school with a great pool rather than a great swimming school as she will compete and do the majority of her training with her club. Her new school will allow her to do her early morning training there rather than with club which would be a logistical nightmare and generally support her (she has been awarded a scholarship in part on the basis of her swimming).
I guess it depends on whether you are intending to do day or boarding..

1busybee Mon 15-May-17 11:39:14

Thanks @Rudi44 yes he does swim with a club. It's working training around the eat of the family that is problematic. I'm happy to consider either boarding or day depending on location and school type. My job is very flexible in location. Is your daughter going to Millfield? If not would you mind telling me where you have looked? Thanks

MuseumGardens Mon 15-May-17 11:45:36

Plymouth College might be good as Tom Daley moved there

Rudi44 Mon 15-May-17 12:40:21

hi, no she isn't going to Millfield although I do know someone who went there on a swimming scholarship. She is going to be a day pupil at a local day/boarding girls school.

Think Plymouth might be good but perhaps also look at schools around Bath, they might have links to the Elite squad that train at Bath Uni

OCSockOrphanage Mon 15-May-17 14:04:02

Mount Kelly (in Tavistock) is only 12 miles from Plymouth so you could see both on one day. Both have big swimming programmes, and MK has just built a second 50m pool.

1busybee Mon 15-May-17 21:15:02

Thanks everyone. Do you have personal experience of mount Kelly @OCSockorphanage? Does any one know any schools around rest of the country as both those are similar area. Thanks

harragirl Mon 15-May-17 21:24:32

Have a look at Ellesmere College in Shropshire - very strong swimming programme

ealingwestmum Mon 15-May-17 22:44:33

Another one to consider is The Kings School Canterbury. Has a very good swim programme for boarders as well as an option for your not as sporty child to follow, as it has more to offer beyond sport. Know 3 families who all have positive feedback and children are thriving in their swimming as well as academically, in what seems a good pastoral environment.

tavinbloom Tue 16-May-17 08:47:44

We have a dd at MK,she is in a year with lots of swimmers,the senior school is dominated swimmers and International students,we are removing our dd as there are now so few local children.
The swimmers have told her that millfield has better facilities and a stronger programme,however mk is very generous with financial help and at mk they are the centre of attention ,which they wouldn't be at millfield .,at swimming meets-nine times out of ten millfield will beat mk as will Plymouth college/leander.pastoral care is fine,academics are not great,but the school is trying to improve in that area ,lots of the swimmers do BTECS,so A level classes can be very very small.
Millfield has strength in all sports,so swimmers will not be treated as they are at mk,mk struggles to put out more than two teams per sport in the senior school,girls sport is very,very weak,you often play the same school two or three times a term,at the moment it looks like my daughter isn't going to have a single mainstream sports fixture all term.
MK hasn't built a second 50 metre pool,they have one 50 metre and one 25 metre

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now