Talk

Advanced search

Maidstone Grammar girls

(12 Posts)
Cmri Sun 14-May-17 20:12:15

My daughter is going in Sept to Yr 7. We are from London and looking to move but don't want her to be remote from friends. We ned to be near train to London, we lime the villages from otford, borough green, e/w malling but do girls go to this school from there? Dont want her to be alone. Any help please

t875 Mon 15-May-17 13:35:18

I think there is a local mums net group which could help also.

Good luck for your dd x

Cmri Mon 15-May-17 14:35:07

Thankyou
Where is the local one please aa not sure how to access,c

donkey86 Mon 15-May-17 14:43:01

I went there. Admittedly, my information is now many years out of date, but when I was there (97-04) I knew girls from all the places you mention, especially West Malling - loads from there. The catchment might have changed a bit, but probably not that much, so I should think you'd be ok.

Iwantacampervan Mon 15-May-17 15:38:21

My old school too but a very long time ago (1977-1982!) I remember girls coming into the school from Borough Green, Wrotham and West Malling areas. Of course, things may have changed in the intervening years - sits down with a wave of nostalgia not helped as I've been looking through my 'baby's' year book she collected today, in a month's time I'll no longer have a child at secondary school.

228agreenend Mon 15-May-17 15:45:08

The grammar schools in Maidstone tend to have girls from a widespread area. In choosing where to live, consider the bus/train routes. I'm not specifically about the places you mentioned - why don't you email,the school and find out?

You can buy a bus pass from KC C for approx £270 pounds for bus travel.

Cmri Mon 15-May-17 16:08:22

This is great feedback.
We wrote to the school but they wanted to stay impartial

228agreenend Mon 15-May-17 16:30:05

The other thing to do is to drive around the bus stops in the morning or evening to see if any girls are getting on/ off buses (without looking stalkerish!) Also, ask local estate agents, or the people who's houses you visit.

If it's any help, I know MGS pupils come from the villages such as Loose, Boughton Monchelsea, east Farleigh, etc.

Cmri Mon 15-May-17 19:18:38

Thankyou for help, sounds like Otford is a step too far. Farleigh and Loose look lovely but need to walk to station for the big commute to London .We have looked in Maidstone near Maidstone West and lower/ upper fant seem nice. I am wondering if most girls from Borough Green will go to a Tonbridge grammar as its a litle closer, thanks for help

maz210 Mon 15-May-17 19:59:16

We're in Wrotham, only a mile from Borough Green, and the girls here automatically go towards the Maidstone grammars. There is a new annexe grammar school opening in Sevenoaks this September so some girls may think about going there in future. Any that aren't driven to Maidstone tend to get the train from Borough Green as it's the most direct route.

Cmri Mon 15-May-17 20:20:50

Thankyou Maz, we had dinner in Raj on Saturday night, very nice, thinking south of borough green station, but i mean 5 mins walk, this is very, very reassuring, will girls be going to sevenoaks annexe this september?

maz210 Tue 16-May-17 19:25:53

Yes, the annexe opens this September but I don't know of any girls that will be attending yet. My daughter is the year below so we're just looking at options for next year. So far the Maidstone grammars are the only real option for us although we will look at the Sevenoaks annexe once it's open. You'll love Borough Green if you're a foodie, we're surrounding by lovely restaurants and gastropubs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now