Talk

Advanced search

Money rewards for good grades

(11 Posts)
Auit Sun 14-May-17 17:22:15

Anyone had personal experience of success with rewarding with money for good grades at GCSE or ALevel?

DD is very bright (best SATS results ever at her primary) but lazy and has drifted at secondary, now in year 9.

TIA

TeenAndTween Sun 14-May-17 17:30:00

No.
Reward effort not grades.

You could start now. Top effort grades in next report gets a reward.

Also if you have more than 1 DC then rewarding grades could be problematic. Bright but lazy may get better grades than hardworking but average.

Auit Sun 14-May-17 17:44:39

I absolutely believe in rewarding effort, have Matthew Syeds and that approach has worked very well with her younger sister who has been rewarded for effort from an early age at her primary.
Younger DD is bright too and recently got the best results in her year.

With older DD she doesn't care, that approach hasn't worked with her. Any encouragement we try to give she just glazes over and nods, then carry's on the same.

Money is a motivation for her and we were hopeful a money reward might be helpful.

She is always

Auit Sun 14-May-17 17:45:19

Matthew Syeds *book

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 14-May-17 18:20:52

Rewarding effort is all well and good but is difficult to measure. Just because a child has spent all evening "revising" by looking at a book, it does not mean that revision was effective or even that difficult. Similarly, being the proud owner of 8 highlighters and a bedroom wall full of post-it notes does not equate to effort. Unless you know exactly what you're looking for, effort is very hard to quantify.

My kids are rewarded by grade but within what I know they can achieve. If they get a good grade with no effort then so be it, but I know that they will have had to put effort in to achieve that grade, and so they earn the reward.

Two of mine are not grade 9/A* kids, they are aiming for realistic predictions of what they can achieve. The one who actually is grade 9 material doesn't care about his exams, has missed much of his GCSE years by truanting and being permanently excluded, but is still likely get pass grades. This will not earn him rewards other than his grades and the fact he'll be free of school (which he will be very happy with for a year or two at least).

Auit Sun 14-May-17 18:50:07

Rewarding effort is all well and good but is difficult to measure
I totally agree Harriet.

Also different things motivate different children!
Younger DD always saves money.
Older DD spends like anything.

Younger DD recently worried about the cost of £7 spent to get her nails done recently and asked would it cheaper to buy nail varnish and do it herself.
Big sis would never worry that!

Youngest would not respond to money rewards.
Oldest I think she might.

No size fits all.

For eldest sake, Id love to hear of some success for money rewards.

MuseumGardens Sun 14-May-17 18:54:23

Good idea to reward effort grades. The kids in dc school who get the highest effort grades aren't necessarily the ones who are the brightest and get the highest attainment grades. You could look at merits too.

BuzzKillington Sun 14-May-17 18:54:26

I wouldn't have dreamed of doing this with the eldest. He was happy with praise/pride as his reward and is totally not motivated by money. Many of his friends however, were given money - typically £150 for each A*, £100 for A etc.

However, we now have one in y10 and he is really clever but really laissez faire about exams. He is also very motivated by money. I am very tempted to offer cash rewards for GCSEs next year.

TheFrendo Sun 14-May-17 18:57:25

My son is doing his GCSEs this summer. He will be getting no payment from us, though I think a little something will drift his way from grandparents.

InfiniteCurve Sun 14-May-17 19:27:55

Big split in this house between DH who would give monetary rewards for grades,and me.
I really think the reward for working and putting in the effort is that you get to achieve and see that you've achieved. There's a film out there (with Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin) called Big Business in which dad says to BMidler in her role as unengaged CEO mum " you're paying our child to learn??"
That's pretty much how I feel.
I also think it doesn't work - the level of motivation required to keep a child studying if they aren't engaged with that isn't going to be provided by the possibility of money at some point in the future.I think positive input and praise from parents will help motivate but I don't think that needs to be accompanied by money.( Not averse to the odd monetary reward after the event,but not "get an A and we'll give you £100")

sheepskinshrug Sun 14-May-17 19:39:23

No reward for effort or grades in this house. I try to encourage internal motivation where their reward is a good grade and I discourage external rewards where they get a reward for effort or grades. I do this because I have read lots of research that suggests you get better, more sustained results doing this and motivating by rewards means that kids get less satisfaction from their achievements and they stop engaging unless there is an external reward in it for them. And I have also read that while adults respond to external rewards like salary positively and can sustain effort of that basis the developing brain does not sustain motivation if it is external.
BUT my kids get plenty of nice stuff, experiences not connected to anything - just for the hell of it. We celebrate the end of every term with a trip to their favourite restaurant but it is never connected with effort or exam success.
This has worked for my kids - no homework nagging needed, study independently (mostly). But we are all different and if rewards work for your kids and you're happy with that go for it! We all want our dcs to achieve - by what ever means necessary! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now