Talk

Advanced search

GCSE English tutor needed

(8 Posts)
user1494605233 Fri 12-May-17 17:47:44

My DD starts Yr 11 next year and wants an experienced English language & literature tutor. She is on an A and is aiming for an A*. She needs a tutor who is very familiar with the GCSE syllabus and exam techniques. We live in NW London. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

evenstrangerthings Fri 12-May-17 19:35:38

I've been very pleased with my Year 11 son's Skype tutor. He knows the syllabus and texts inside out and has helped my mathsy son actively enjoy both Eng Lang and Lit. His website is at http://www.26letters.eu

Redsrule Fri 12-May-17 20:17:44

Any tutor will want to know if your child is working at 6/7/8 however it is impossible for any teacher to confidently predict this. Make sure any tutor is fully aware of changes in the spec/ grading, they are unlikely to have been on the limited training opportunities.

user1494605233 Fri 12-May-17 22:32:08

Thanks very much for the Skype link. That's good to know that online tutoring can be effective. Thanks.

Wolfiefan Fri 12-May-17 22:34:08

Ask the English teachers at school if they know anyone.

YoniFucker Fri 12-May-17 22:37:51

She needs a tutor who is very familiar with the GCSE syllabus and exam techniques.

Nobody is. They're brand new. We're all feeling about in the dark, hoping we're heading in the right direction.

If exam technique is important then look for someone who is examining papers this year (last year was totally different specification)

user1494609566 Sat 13-May-17 08:53:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Redsrule Sat 13-May-17 10:52:31

Both Yoni and I have mentioned that the new spec is very different. If your highest qualification is an A* in the old, easier GCSE, you will never have covered some of the syllabus. A couple of my pupils have tutors who have completely misled them, one by saying I was wrong to have told them context is important (15% of Lit mark)! Tutors can be a great help but they must be aware of change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now